It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stropping technique
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 am 

I saw a video where this guy used a 2K then 5K water stone only using a stropping motion, pulling the blade backwards, like when you strop on leather or balsa.
What are the plus and minus of this technique?

Post subject: Re: Stropping technique
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well that's how you strop....I guess I'm kind of unsure what you mean.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

PHILLY <> One can finish with edge-trailing strokes to refine the edge after edge-leading/trailing sequences, or solely implement edge-trailing strokes to sharpen. As Adam explains, he is simply using the 5k as a strop, or he is only implementing edge-trailing strokes on his 2k/5k progression. It is a matter of preference. Sharpening is an art, everyone has their own style.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm 

Would most "experienced" knife sharpeners consider stropping on higher grit stones the proper technique "normally".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:34 am 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> I can't speak for "most experienced sharpeners," but I speak for myself, of whom has been sharpening knives for over two decades. I am not a guru, I am not a professional knife sharpener, I'm just one of those seemingly rare Chefs of whom sharpen their own knives, and I get my knives sharp... scary sharp. When I was young I worked as a mate in South Florida on offshore fishing charters, and learned how to sharpen my filet knives so as to do my job. I have been a professional Chef for almost 23 years, and I have to sharpen my knives to execute my job. Not for money, not for show... for work - to make the tools work.

When sharpening, I use edge leading & trailing strokes until I've ground down to just before where I'm happy on my bevel. Then I transition to solely edge trailing stokes... basically stropping on the stone. Once I've finished my edge leading & trailing sequences on each stone, I finish with a trailing only sequence before progressing to the next. Then on to the next stone unless the prior stone was a low grit stone in which had generated a burr. Then of course, I take of the burr before progressing.

I have used, with success, my Kityama (8k or 12k depending on who you talk to) simply as a strop to touch up my knives.

I had stropped after sharpening with newspaper draped on my last stone of the progression for about 2 years. That was when I really started researching sharpening; rather then just doing what I knew, which did work very well. The newspaper method was gleaned from Master Bladesmith, Murray Carter, and it worked. Or so I thought, until I used a real [leather] strop.

This forum has talked me into expanding my sharpening kit into a strop, and all I can say is that it is the largest jump in edge performance & longevity, more so, that I have seen in long time. I mean I knew what I knew, and it worked really well so I never looked for more. Now, with a strop, it cuts my time between sharpening noticeably, and touch ups feel like a fresh sharpening. I always made my knives scary sharp with just stones, but I think about how much metal I've ground off for nothing and it bothers me, retrospectively. We live, we learn... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 am 

Melampus ,Thanks for that very informative reply. I've only just begun to delve into the world of knife sharpening and become more interested at every turn.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]