It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carter, Takeda, Konosuke.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I’m a pretty experienced home cook and have collected a range of knives over the last 30 years. The obligatory German brands, French carbon, Global/Shuns, and some moderately priced Japanese traditional knives – deba, yanagiba, nakiri.

I most often reach for 8” French carbon, 6” Shun Fuji (Williams Sonoma knife), and the yanagiba. I also have a $20 Spyderco paring knife that sees a lot of action….it is simple and takes a good edge quickly. I do like to “choke up “ on a knife, so a rounded spine is nice.

I am looking generically for 210mm gyuto/funayuki, prefer carbon, traditional handle….would like your input on the following, in no particular order:

· Takeda 210 AS Gyuto – I do really like his 150mm Honesuki….maybe later.

· Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Gyuto

· Murray Carter 210 Fukugozai - I realize this is at a higher price level, and that may be ok…would be willing to pay premium if there is a real difference over the 2 knives above (or others you may suggest)…..plus it is cool to have your name stamped into the blade, that’s worth a few $$.

I also like the Tanaka Ironwood, very nice looking, but that is probably a different purchase. Your thoughts are appreciated, and I am glad that I found your website…though I am spending way too much time on it.

Best Regards,

Carter

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Carter, Takeda, Konosuke.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Konosuke Fujiyama is going to be a very well made knife. I simply can't recommend the other two over it no matter how much I like them. :)

Takeda's gyuto's are great.....a thing of beauty if you ask me. And very well made.

The Carter will likely be a great, great cutter.

But the Konosuke Fujiyama series are just fantastic knives. F&F second to none, and very well ground.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 am 
Forum Moderator

ADAM <> :lol: :lol: :lol: Image :lol: :lol: :lol: Image :lol: :lol: :lol: Image :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

I vote Konosuke white #1 as well. They're all excellent knives but that one stands out.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]