It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Comments on Mark's Pick for me
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 pm 

Mark Richmond suggested I post my question to this forum.
As shown below, he recommends the Laser, before I pull the trigger (no pun intended), I just want to see if anyone has an alternate suggestion.

Message subject: Re: Asking for a recommendation Sent at: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 pm
Hi Bob,

Give my Laser a try. It's AEB-L, thin, hard and has a nice handle. I like them a lot and you have all the big knives you would ever need. This would be a fun change of pace.

I encourage you to copy and paste your question onto the forum. That's why I have it and you will get more suggestions besides my own. Maybe you did. I don't have time to read everything on here.
View message

phillysco
Message subject: Asking for a recommendation Sent at: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm
Mark:
I have decided I want to try a good Japanese gyuto. Simply for the experience.
Let me give you some background.
I already own more kitchen knives than I could ever use. I have 4 older made in US, Wearever Professional, both carbon steel and stainless.
These are all 9.5 and 12 inch. Plus a super heavy duty 12 inch carbon steel chef knife similar to a Dexter.
I also have a full set of Calphalon Katanas VG 1 steel, not bad, and a Haiku VG10 damascus santoku, and many others including a petty knife I have posted on the forum looking for someone to I.D. it. My wife uses the Katanas all the time, which is why I have to learn water stones.
I am learning knife sharpening, have a good amount of equipment, and already can do a pretty good sharpening job using paper wheels on a buffer, and belts on a belt sander. I am finalizing what water stones I will need, so I can keep my Japanese gear maintained. I can sharpen with the water stones, I just have to go slowly.
The knife is strictly for home use. Since I have plenty of big knives, I really want a 210MM,
I want the entire Japanese look, WA handle, horn ferrule
I like the dark wood octagonal handle, like rosewood.
I have a Idahone ceramic, regular steel, and a diamond steel, leather strop, and diamond micron finishing belts.,so I want a steel that responds well to honing with the equipment I have. I keep after my edges, so I don't have to sharpen that often.
I have spend some time on the forums here, AEB-L and S35VN look like two good choices for me.
Your Richmond Damascus looks great, $300 is a bit steep, but I would spend it at the top end. $200 to $250 range preferred.
I don't want the Kurouchi finish, it will just wear off. I have enough carbon steel to take care of now, so probably stay with stainless.
If you don't have what I want in stock, just let me know when you get one in. I have plenty to choose from already.
Any chance your Richmond Artifex with WA handles?
Many thanks,
Bob Rossi

Post subject: Re: Comments on Mark's Pick for me
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Laser sure sounds like what you're after. There are a couple of other choices, but none as good as this one IMHO.

I was really impressed with the Laser.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 pm 

Yea, there really aren't many stainless knives with wa handles. So unless you want to compromise on one of those requisites, Mark's lines are about it, especially in your price range. Your other option is to buy a knife and get it rehandled.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:29 am 

Thanks for your help guys
I ordered the Laser from Mark, it should be here in a couple of days.
I also got a 1K and 2K water stone, along with the 5K I already have, so I can maintain it when necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Please do a review once you receive the knife and get some time with it. I was going to put in a recommendation for the Damascus but got here to late. I haven't tried the Laser yet so am interested to hear how it performs.

Post subject: Richmond Laser First Impressions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 pm 

I finally got to use my new Laser. Have been busy at my job, and my other half has been doing most of the kitchen duties.
I have the 210 MM version, the hardest thing for me to get used do is the height of the blade. At 43.5MM it's much shallower than all my other chef knives.
I use 9.5 inch chef knives, as well as Santoku, all with 2 inch high blades.
That said, I got to make cole slaw yesterday, chopped up some cabbage and a carrot.
The Laser handled both jobs effortlessly. The knife is thin and light, I don't really see it as my everyday go to blade, e.g. I would not smash a clove of garlic with it, but really
as a home cook, I can probably use it for 75 percent of my kitchen tasks. I can always reach for the heavy armor when confronting a larger task.
I think I finally got to understand what a "toothy" edge is, the Laser edge really grabs the food. Its like the edge sticks to the food being cut, just a light push is all that's needed.
Mark gave me a good recommendation based on what I wanted. Given the blade height as a sole criteria, I would have probably preferred the 240MM Laser, since it's a little deeper.
Having little experience with Japanese knives I think the Laser is a little pricey at $209, but you have to factor in Mark's expertise in making a selection.
Overall I am happy with my purchase, and hope as I use my Laser more, it will grow on me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]