It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: first "nice" knife
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:41 pm 

hi everyone,

i just got a Hiromoto Santoku 190mm a couple of days ago and i just wanted some advice for maintaining it properly. so far i've been wiping it down after every use since the blade is not made of a stainless steel (?). i assume i should use my sharpening steel for honing the blade but i dont know if what im using is "good" for the blade. i have a $20 wushof sharpening steel thing, is that ok or should i get something fancier?

Post subject: Re: first "nice" knife
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey, welcome to the forum, and entering the pursuit of the perfect edge. (It never ends BTW, get out now while you can!)

I would advise against using your Wusthof steel as it may not be the correct hardness to hone your Hiromoto's edge. A good cheap ceramic hone from Idahone would be a much better choice for maintaining. If you want to get into sharpening by hand then we have endless advice for you. Give us a budget and a goal and we'll work with you! :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:03 am 

Here are some tips on how to clean knives:
The first is to use wood or polyethylene cutting boards. Marble, glass, stone, ceramic and other hard surfaces damage knives. They can dull, blunt or nick a blade.
To clean knives, wipe the knife quickly with a nonabrasive cloth or sponge, dry it and put it away.
A little silver polish will clean it if it discolors. Please don't leave it lying around the area where it will bang into other knives. And putting it away quickly avoids the possibility of it colliding with a force that might dull the blade, and is a safety measure.
To have a knife professionally ground and sharpened by a skilled craftsman is the best way to go, and watching an artisan at work is a unique pleasure. It is not impossible to master the art of sharpening yourself, however. You will need both a whetstone and a honing steel, each implement serving a different purpose and each working in tandem with the other.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 am 

In my experience aogami super is not very responsive to honing rods. You may want to venture into the world of whetstones. A basic King is a good inexpensive starting point....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

thanks for the tips everyone :D Hope everyone had a happy turkey day.

LOL, I know that this search for a perfect edge is never ending. I don't know if I want to get into actual knife sharpening but would it be a bad idea just to have my knife sharpened by a professional every now and then? I don't actually have a budget set especially since I was lucky enough to receive this as a gift. I noticed that the website has knife sharpening services, I assume I just mail out my blade and in a couple of days it gets mailed back to me?

i have a bamboo cutting board so i guess thats good. in the past, I've cleaned my knives with a green scouring pad, is that a really bad idea? my sister actually came to visit for this Thanksgiving and she didn't follow my specific instruction of drying off the knife after using it and left in lying on my dish rack wet for a couple of hours.... The knife still seems fine but maybe the color of the edge was slightly different, I hope that didn't damage it, the color seems fine now after a couple of days use.

if i don't hone my blade, how often does a person normally get their blade sharpened?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd say with heavy home use, you should only need the blade sharpened once a month or so, especially if you use a ceramic honing rod. With light home use Sharpening sessions can last months. Personally, I'd say invest in a Shapton 1k Pro stone. Good enough to maintain the edge, sharp enough to do anything you need. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro10.html

If you want the knife professionally sharpened or repaired you can send it to either me or James Bullman, message me for details if you're interested.

As for a cutting board: The bamboo boards are rather rough on edges (unless you can find an end-grain one). If you can get a hold of a maple board, that's your best bet, followed by sani-tuff, then bamboo. Glass cutting boards are used by people who hate knives. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 pm 

wish i came to the site before i bought a cutting board a couple of months ago :( . my bamboo board is fairly new and i feel like chucking it now would be a waste, but at the same time ruining this knife would probably be a bigger waste LOL. would it be silly of me to keep this board until it needs replacing? will i need to sharpen the knife way more often because of this board?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh don't beat yourself up over it :) I used bamboo for a good while before converting to Maple. It is a little rough on the edge, but still better than nothing. I would say just be careful of chopping on it hard. You should be good, it's just not nearly as good as maple though. I've noticed a huge increase in edge life after switching. I'll contact you about sharpening details shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm 

cool, thank you much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 am 

i wouldn't use bamboo at all. those things are harsh harsh harsh on knives. i have one. forces me to sharpen knives twice as fast as compared to a good plastic board or a wooden board. bamboo is a tall grass, tougher on steel.

find something out of maple or cherry. if you can find something out of "rubberwood" that's even cheaper. it's comparable to maple which is pretty safe for knives. nothing to hard like ironwood (found that out the hard way myself) got an ironwood chopping block. rubberwood is a tropical wood that grows fast. and gets felled for wood when it stops producing sap for rubber.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next