It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New chef knife for home cook.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Richmond,

I'm trying to decide on the best chef's knife for my needs, which is usually a once-a-day task, cooking for one or two in a small home kitchen. Small meals, nothing fancy or elaborate. My average knife and sharpening skills have come from using original Messermeisters (before they went Japanese), F. Dick, with some light use of MAC Pros and Shuns thrown into the mix.

Though I'm used to the heavier German style, I don't believe the crossover to Japanese-Western would be too traumatic -- so I'm open to either. I like the looks of the Wusthof Classic, but the cost is high. The Kikuichi TKC is very appealing, but again there's the cost factor and the feeling it might be too much knife for my average needs. I guess that leaves either the F. Dick Premier Plus 8" chefs or 210mm Fujiwara FKM Gyuto at the right price point. I treat my knives well and sharpen on a regular basis, but want the knife to hold up to any beating it might receive in my amateur hands.

What would you recommend? Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Ron

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: New chef knife for home cook.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ron,

If you can sharpen you are way ahead of the game. I would encourage you to try the TKC. It's better steel than anything else you listed and it will alllow you to sharpen it with a steep angle and you should get better cutting performance out of it. I love the steel in that knife and it's pretty easy to sharpen.

Have you considered a wa handled knife? Something like this would be really fun for you to try:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:37 pm 

the tkc or the sakai takayuki would be pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the TKC is a really great knife and I wouldn't consider it too much for a newbie. Sounds like you know what you're doing and you'd never to second guessing the "I should have bought a better knife" a year from now. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]