It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrading from my Forschner
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hello, I use my 8" chef knife every day, and I have been using a Victorinox for the past year and a half. I'm ready for a step up and I like the characteristics of a gyuto. I have decent knife skills. I don't do any intricate vegetable cuts, nor do I filet fish. My budget is under $200 for a good chef's knife. I'm particularly interested in the TKC - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html

After doing a little more digging, I came across the Fujiwara FKM - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html.

Ideally, I'd like to have a razor sharp, long-lasting edge that is fairly low-maintenance. I currently own a MAC ceramic honing rod, but no other sharpening stones or steels. Besides 'feel' what are the differences between the knives above, and what additional equipment/accessories for proper maintenance are suggested? Any other similar knife suggestions in this price range are much appreciated. Thanks so much.
--
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrading from my Forschner
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

The TKC and Fujiwara are similar in many ways except the steel is better with the TKC. It takes a steep edge and holds it longer than the Fujiwara. It's semi stainless so you need to wipe it after use but it's a really good knife. The Fujiwara is a good entry level knife but for the price I like the Tojiro DP a little more.

As for sharpening this set is all you need:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 pm 

Interesting. I appreciate the recommendation of the Tojiro DP - that price point is great. As someone who has never owned a premium knife, would I be able to tell the difference between the Tojiro DP and the TKC? For example, if I purchased the Tojiro DP, then went to a friend's house who owned the TKC and used his knife, would I notice a difference? If not, I'm happy to pay $80 for a stellar knife. What I'd hate to do is buy an $80 knife, only to purchase the $170 knife a year later. Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm 

problem with hanging out in places like this is that it's very hard to keep yourself from not buying more and more knives so, if you think you're happy with your choice of new knife for the next few years then good for you. but once you get bitten by the knife nut bug, it doesn't stop. lol. you just keep buying and buying. only good thing from being in places like this for most of you guys is that you can actually sell them off here or somewhere else online and someone might actually buy them from you. i don't really have that luxury.

so if ever you wanna upgrade, you can always dump the old one and sell it then buy a new one. or you can try both out for a while and see what you'd wanna keep and sell the other.

=D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

You probably wouldn't notice the difference between a DP and a TKC unless you consciously set out to find it.

The obvious difference would be in the handle feel....past that the differences would require a concerted effort to detect. If you were just gleefully cutting away, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]