It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE WORDS OF"SHARPENING"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:53 pm 

Hi

I would ask the people about the technical differences among the words involves in the process of sharpening. What is exactly "rod", "sharpening", "honing" and "strop", among others?

I'm Brazilian.. so, I'm a Portuguese speaker! In my language, there is no these words. For "sharpening", we use two verbs, "afiar" and "amolar", both of them having the basic meaning of "became a more acute angle", in a not-good translation!

When I start to research in English foruns, I encounter all this words. I go the the Dictionaries I know, but I never find a technical definition. All words were associated, basically, with sharpening. But the differences among them I never found!

Someone can help me?

Best regards.

Dario

Post subject: Re: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE WORDS OF"SHARPENING"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

Here is my understanding the words, as they applied to kitchen knives (some words have a slightly different meanings when applied to other fields like metalworks) :

Sharpening - To remove metal to form a cutting edge. I believe it is closer to "afiar", whereas "amolar" is closer to grind. (An extrapolation from my sad understanding of French, that has similar words.) Both "Sharpening" and "Grind" can be use to mean forming an edge, but "Sharpening" is more specific to meaning only forming an edge, where "Grind" can mean shaping the material.

Strop - Lightly refining/polishing the edge on smooth material with edge trailing stroke.

Honing - Light maintenance sharpening.

Honing for Japanese knives, since they're usually harder and maintain their edge longer, are usually done with light stropping motion on higher grit whetstone. For western knives, though they also can be honed on a whetstone, they are often done on a "honing" steel or ceramic rods or diamond rods. "Honing" steel does not actually hone, meaning lightly sharpening. They realign the bent/deformed edges of the softer steel. When using ceramic or diamond rods (called rods because they're not actually made of steel, though look similar in shape,) the knives are honed, i. e. they do remove some steel...they sharpen.

I hope this helps....and not creating more confusion :)

Post subject: Re: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE WORDS OF"SHARPENING"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

DARIO BORTOLINI wrote:Hi

I would ask the people about the technical differences among the words involves in the process of sharpening. What is exactly "rod", "sharpening", "honing" and "strop", among others?

I'm Brazilian.. so, I'm a Portuguese speaker! In my language, there is no these words. For "sharpening", we use two verbs, "afiar" and "amolar", both of them having the basic meaning of "became a more acute angle", in a not-good translation!

When I start to research in English foruns, I encounter all this words. I go the the Dictionaries I know, but I never find a technical definition. All words were associated, basically, with sharpening. But the differences among them I never found!

Someone can help me?

Best regards.

Dario

Use & do whatever works for you & seems right - but sometimes it can be adventurous to seek behind the boundaries encircling your expertise......

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]