It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misono UX-10 steel?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm 

I read mixed accounts of what steel Misono use in their UX-10 series and the properties of this steel.

Some say it is (like) 19C27 and able to take a great edge. Others say it is not such a great steel in terms of taking an edge. Also I read sometimes it is fairly difficult to sharpen, which would point at it not being 19C27.

Who can tell me what steel Misono use or which well known steel it is similar to?

Or what properties this steel has? Is it easy to sharpen? And does it take a great edge?

Post subject: Re: Misono UX-10 steel?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 pm 

I've handled the 210mm gyuto and I think it is a great edge for stainless. I'm not sure what the formula is. I didn't sharpen it as it wasn't mine, but watched it being sharpened and it does not appear difficult to raise or remove burr; it works rather clean.
Using one on a busy kitchen line, I found no significant performance increase that warrants the price. A kikuichi in
AUS-10 worked just as well and both make it through a shift without a single touch up. Edge performance on these caliber knives comes mostly from sharpening skill. Metal type and temper matter too but knife must have solid edge geometry. I must say the F&F on UX-10 was flawless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 am 

A guy I work with has a dimpled suji. I looked up the price on JCK, it was near $500!!!!!!!!! He payed less than $200 8 years ago.

For that kind of money the fit and finish dang well better be flawless!

I wouldn't rate a UX10 above a Mac, IMHO...

58hrc is a tad behind the times, rather Glestain'esque.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm 

So I've had a UX-10 petty for a bit over 2 years and it's been sharpened a few times. The steel sharpens and deburrs pretty easily imo, takes a good edge, and is very easily polished (my bevels on the ux-10 are much shinier than any of my other knives; don't know if that matters). I'd say edge retention is in line with vg10 and g3

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]