It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka set?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark & Susan,

I stumbled across your website whilst looking for some new knives and can I just say how great it is!! It is the only site I have found run by "people" instead of faceless companies offering little/ or no experience/ advice and demonstrations of their knives.

Anyway, I was hoping you could help assist me in finding a new set of knives. I recently cracked my most used knife (albeit a western mass produced knife) and I am waiting for it to break any day now. Sadly I have a real hotch-potch collection of knives, the best being Globals. The time has come however to purchase a set of knives which I can treasure for a long time.

Although there is no such thing as an heirloom knife. I am looking for something that I can use and look after so that one day my Son can follow in my footsteps and use. I prepare every meal from fresh ingredients- no packets or microwaves in my kitchen. So I need a set that is suitable for everyday use and keeps an edge, because I am bored of sharpening my current knives every fortnight.

Although I am no expert in knife craftsmanship, I have done a lot of research and have found a set I like on your site, which are the Moritaka Supreme knives. Are these suitable for every day use? and how long will they last if looked after properly. I also like the Takeda's what are the main differences between the two makes, apart from the price?

I am looking for;

1 x Petty
1 x Santoku 170mm
1 x Gyuto 240mm
1 x Nakiri
1 x Honesuki
1 x Suitable good quality Whet stone

Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Moritaka set?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

HI Mark,

I'm glad you found us! :)

Moritaka makes really good knives and I think you would enjoy using them. They're fine for everyday use but you just have to make sure you wipe them dry after use since it's high quality carbon steel.
I don't know how much boning of chickens or other things you do buy you might consider ditching the Honesuki.

To get a good and simple solution for a sharpening stone try this shapton glass stone 2pc set:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh2pcstset.html

There are other sharpening accessories you could add but these 2 stones will do the job.

As for the Takedas, his knives are similar. I love his gyutos since they're tall and thin. They're one of the best selling gyutos on the site. If you wanted to substitute 1 knife from the above set so you can try a Takeda get the Gyuto. Shosui is a great knife smith.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Moritaka's are suitable for every day use. They are high carbon steel knives thoughs, and therefore require a touch more thought about useage. No leaving wet or with food stuck to them as they can rust much easier than stainless knives.

With stainless you want to clean your knives after use, but if you forget it's not a huge deal....with carbon you must clean and dry them.

Takeda's knives are of similar construction in so much as they're both "kurouchi" style knives....that is left in a forged finished state look. The blades are not polished basically. I love that rustic look a lot.

I like Takeda's knives a little better than the Moritaka's. They're also a lot more expensive though.

The 5 piece set of stone's is a great starting place:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, after a bit of research it seems most people share your view and recommend Takeda over Moritaka. Although more expensive there seem to be little/ no QC problems and better quality craftsmanship with Takeda. I would rather spend good money on getting a better product, as I want them to last a "lifetime" as it were.

I have just been looking at Tanaka knives as well. I really like the finish (the only western style handles on Jap blades I've liked so far) and they look good enough to last a long time. Do you have any experience of Tanaka's? I'm thinking a mixture of both? as I love the rustic Kurouchi finish and the Damascus.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Stones.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tanaka's are nice, that would make a good combo. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:46 pm 

I have two of the Moritaka Supreme Series knives from Mark (the 150mm Petty and the KS250 gyuto). These knives are awesome and as I continue to expand my collection I will be staying within this line. I cannot speak to the Takeda, but for the price difference I think I have made the correct choice.

Being primarily a chef knife guy I am amazed at how much I use the 150mm petty as a universal go-to knife. I use it for all the smaller jobs like garlic or even when I break down a chicken (obviously not through bones). The guyto is great for anything larger, like onions, lettuce, and I even used it to trim and slice a full ribeye loin into steaks.

The two Shapston glass stones Mark recommends are the right way to go for keeping a good edge on your knives, but you will also need a holder as they are thin and must have something holding them off the surface you are using. So get either a universal holder or a sink bridge (or both). I really like touching my knives up on this 8000 grit Kitayama stong to really polish the edge http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kitayama8000.html.

100% recommend the Moritaka Supreme Series for your "lifetime" choice of knives. Great way to teach the kids how improtant it is to take care of their "tools" as well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]