It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jumping grits from low to medium.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Mark

Thank you for the info and the post on the lower grit stones. The good thing is that I’ve finally registered, which is something

I’ve been meaning to do.

If I were to put the Nubatama Bamboo 150 into the lineup, I must ask you if it is advisable to then proceed directly to the Chosera 1000 and then up further,

Or do I need to use another stone before the 1000, so as not to overwork the 1000 to death, and will the results be there?

Please consider that im not repairing any damaged knives at this time but have several very dull ones to thin and sharpen.

Also, I want to buy a gyuto, is the tojiro shown on your web site home page a good start or is there something else you might recommend in the same price range?

Thanks soo much for your input…..

John

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Jumping grits from low to medium.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here is my current line up. It changes since I like to try different stones so I can talk about them.

Bamboo 150
Deburr (cork or cube or anything I can find)
Imanishi 1K
Deburr
Beston 2K
Japanese natura (Ohira Tomae)
Strop leather and Boron
Strop leather only

As you can see I do that jump and it's no problem. If you slide a 500 stone in between you end up needing to use the 1K a little less because the scratches are not as pronounced but that is the only difference.

The Tojiro DP is our best selling knife. It's a great entry level Japanese knife at that price. The other 2 are the Artifex and the Fujiwara FKM-09. All of these are great bang for the buck knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 pm 

I've been quite happy with my Bamboo 400 between my 150 and 1K. Has a great feel to it and does save time on my 1K. - Josh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 am 

150 Bamboo stone is pretty coarse and jumping to 1k is too much.

The 400 bamboo is a excellent between stone and can be used for minor repairs too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm kind of inbetween Mark and Jason on this. The 150 bamboo leaves a finish that will allow you to jump to a 1k if the steel isn't too abrasion resistant, but if it is, the 400 bamboo is a perfect intermediate stone and a good stone in it's own right. Of course then the interesting question is which 1k Nubatama stone to choose :) In fact you could substitute the 800 for the 1k and follow with a 2k or 3k.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll add that it rather much depends on what you've got after the coarse grit stone.

As Ken eluded to....is the steel extremely abrasion resistant?

Are you sharpening the entire front bevel of a 360mm yanagi?

Is this a rather thick knife that you've just thinned and the bevel is 1/2" wide?

In these extreme situations, I wouldn't want to make that large of a jump.

However, if we're just talking routing sharpening of a thin gyuto, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

I typically don't make that large of a jump...but it can be done without much heartache.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]