It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stripping isn't working.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 am 
Forum Moderator

A friend sent me this joke that seems appropriate to share regarding stripping:

There was a bit of confusion at the store this morning.
When I was ready to pay for my groceries, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me."
Making a mental note to complain to my congressman about Homeland Security running amok,
I did just as she had instructed.
When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided,
I found out that she was referring to my credit card.
I have been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.
They need to make their instructions to us seniors a little clearer!

So I think the give away here is "The edge now tries to saw the paper"

My guess is that the burr has broken off or partially broken off and you now have a jagged edge. THAT would give this sawing effect. You should go back and redo the edge with the stones, taking pains to remove the burr completely and make a minimal burr, removing it by gentle abrasion with lateral strokes. The edge should cleanly cut the paper. Now go on to the stropping. If you have a jagged edge from rough deburring you wont have a lot of success with stropping. The stropping itself may dislodge those cling-on burrs just enough to bring out the jaggies. It isn't essential but an 8k stone added to the lineup might not hurt.

Get one of these inexpensive loupes on Mark's sight - 20 x or so and closely inspect your edge before going on to the strop.

And then follow all the good advice in this thread while stropping.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:31 pm 

Something has changed with the stone. It has acquired a sheen and repels water. It also is no longer uniform gray (1000) and cream (4000). I don't get it, but I can no long sharpen as I could ... not even close. Pondering the Shapton glass starter set or the 5 piece Beston 500, Bester 1200, Suehiro Rika 5K set. Any thoughts about relative merits of those kits?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm 

ken123 wrote:
There was a bit of confusion at the store this morning.
When I was ready to pay for my groceries, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me."
Making a mental note to complain to my congressman about Homeland Security running amok,
I did just as she had instructed.
When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided,
I found out that she was referring to my credit card.
I have been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

LOL!! :lol: :lol: ROFL! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am 

I think technique is more important than equipment. I think if you want to upgrade your stones that is all well and good. If youre not getting an edge on the stone you have now, id say its most likely technique that is failing you. You can use this "buggered" stone to learn proper technique.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Have you lapped the stone with a diamond plate? It sounds like the stone has glazed. Also when using the stone use more water.

Glad you appreciate my humor :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 am 

Good joke, even if HS has run amok;-) I don't think the problem is technique (alone) because I was slicing narrow ribbons of paper after previous sharpenings, especially my blue steel nakiri.
Stone glazed (interesting image;) is what I'm seeing. Why does it occur? A friend has a diamond lapping plate and I will try it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Metal swarf gets stuck in the stone. With more water you get less glazing. Running a stone dry will nearly assure you of glazing. A diamond plate will remove that outer layer of stone with the metal swarf and flatten it too. You can also use another stone to rub it off. I use a small piece 2x3" of Atoma 400 to retexturize a stone which also removes the deeper scratches frrom flattening with a coarser diamond plate.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm 

I will try with a diamond stone. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 am 
Forum Moderator

"I use a small piece 2x3" of Atoma 400 to retexturize a stone which also removes the deeper scratches from flattening with a coarser diamond plate."

I also find this EXTREMELY useful for raising a dense slurry on a medium grit stone, ESPECIALLY natural Nakado stones like the Tajima stones.
I plan on doing a video of this soon and will be getting s couple of these in very soon in full sized stones too.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at2x3400gr.html

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:21 am 
Site Admin

I've become hooked on the little 2x3 atoma 140. I use it to clean the stone as I'm sharpening and it really works great. Most stones start loading immediately and giving it a quick rub down with the Atoma keeps it cutting well and helps keep it flat as well.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next