It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Boron Carbide on balsa and leather different?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I hate to be contrary, but as they say there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I don't care for jumping from a very coarse stone to a very fine stone and I also don't feel that a 1 micron edge can't be further improved with finer compounds - up to and including 0.025 micron Poly. It has not been my experience and also not the experience of MANY others. I do feel that leaving this statement unchallenged is a disservice to knife sharpeners just learning to sharpen. Of course, all are entitled to their opinions especially on their own knives.

There is no one right way to sharpen knives. Nor is there a universally accepted definition of sharpness. There IS a value to task specifically sharpening knife edges to meet one's requirements. For kitchen knives, I find a tenth micron finish FAR more pleasurable and efficient that a 1 micron edge. For some tasks and steels a 2k finish or a finish with a natural aoto is perfect.

But to generalize that jumping from a 500 grit edge to a 16k edge and maintaining with a 16k or 1 micron compound is THE answer to sharpening. Sorry, I don't buy it.

My apologies in advance for being this blunt, but this misinformation does need to be challenged.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 am 
Forum Moderator

MadRookie wrote:Ok guys:

I use HA BC on horse leather, with the shiny side sanded away to a reasonably smooth/roughish surface.

Apply BC generously (yeah, yeah I know people say just a wee drop - I like my way) and wipe off excess - leave overnight to dry.

I find the above the best for in between stones maintenance.

Provides a lovely balance between "bite & push cut pleasure".

I have used, & still have many bottles of all the other compounds - however for my practical application, nothing beats the above - simple, effective & quick - works well on high Rc steel as well.

:)

Ken:

I respect your position in the sharpening arena, however, some pointers:

1. Refer to my 1st post - I referenced "MY" preference, meaning exactly that - THE WAY I LIKE & DO IT.
2. Nowhere did I allude to the fact that it was the one and only right way or answer to sharpening - you deduced that by virtue of difference of your opinion which, you are entitled to have and which I respect.
3. If you cannot reciprocate respect for opinions of others and/or likewise differ with dignity, then at least refrain from resorting to as you call it "being this blunt"

I simply answered a post - I gave information as to what works for me.

Now let this rest - you can PM me should you care.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:39 pm 

Hey guys,

A different angle... Do you know whether Boron Carbide is poisonous? I ask this because I always strop my kitchen knives with 1 micron diamond spray on balsa before I use them. Then I just wipe them with a cloth or keep them under a running tap. However, if the stropping compound would not be healthy, I'd have to clean them much more rigourously...

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 pm 

From what I'm learning at the moment it seems the results can be attributed to the person doing the sharpening as well as the tools used. MR suggested after I used the BC to then still use the BC but for the last several strokes use very light strokes. To me this means much lighter than the pressure I had already been using on what may be a "normal" stroke for me. I did see and feel a difference after using the lighter strokes. Getting different results from the same strop by changing the amount of pressure I was using would also means that different people will get different results from the same strop based on their stropping habits or technique. This is an amazing (to me) thing to be playing with right now. Actually, what I am learning about and being able to achieve on a knife edge will make very little difference in my knife using life. Toothy edge? Smooth edge (called sharper by some)? They all do just fine for my needs. I seldom use knives in the kitchen enough to even develope a preference. I would like to say this though. Since my sharpening skills and results have gotten so much better than they were a few years ago and even just a few months ago I am far more picky about the knife I use in the kitchen. The other day I was peeling potatoes and cutting fries. The knife I was using needed to be sharpened BADLY. In the past I would just deal with it and struggle through the work with the dull knife. Now, however I wasn't content with doing that. I put the knife down to sharpen later and grabbed another one. I'm no longer satisfied with anything short of very sharp. I've been sharpening the kitchen knives for many years. However, the edges are getting sharper and better fast enough to catch wife off guard. She was cutting something in the kitchen the other day. She was trying to pull the edge through something with her thumb on the other side of the item (celery or something). The knife didn't immediately cut so she applied a tiny bit of slicing motion and the edge went right through the food and sliced her thumb. She wasn't expecting the knife to cut so fast because now they are sharper than what she is used to.

I would have to say (and I've said it before) that this level of a sharp edge I'm able to consistantly get now is a result of the CKTG site and forum and the people involved. I've learned SO much from several people here. MadRookie and Ken's help have been without compare. Thanks to both of you and all the others I've learned from. I appreciate your willingness (and eagerness) to help people who are learning like myself. I can even imagine different situations where a toothy edge would be more appropriate and others where a smooth razor edge would be better. If your job requires cutting a lot of cardboard a toothier edge may do better. If you are a surgeon you may prefer the smooth edge for a cleaner cut. This may even apply to a butcher who cuts meat. Some may prefer a smooth edge for JUST meat. Others may want a toothier edge because a particular knife he/she may use for different types of food in addition to meat.

You could go on and on about this so I'll stop. Already gotten long winded enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mad Rookie,

"There is no one right way to sharpen knives." I thought this made my point.

Sorry. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, just to provide another perspective on the subject. I thought I had explained that there was no one approach - including mine in my post.

I have mutual respect for your work as well as a long standing friendship with you and simply wanted to provide a balance to this topic and an alternative viewpoint.

BTW I do have some of the 2 micron product if you need some.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

BC is not poisonous AFAIK

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3