It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex or Fernandez?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark:

If you can only buy one knife between Artifex or Shaun's knife, which one will you buy? The reason for this question is that I am going to keep this knife for a long time. I am not a professional cook or a knife enthusiast. I am not planning to upgrade knives once or twice a year. Plus I have a whole set of Wusthof and Shun santoko knife and I also want to learn to sharpen because I think it is pretty cool to know how to sharpen. Your instructional videos are really easy to follow or watch.

I cannot make up my mind if I should get the Shaptons 1k and 4k glass stones or the 5 piece set (debur block, jeweler magnifier piece, Beston, Bester and Rika). I read the Shaptons are very hard and unforgiving on mistakes. The Shaptons are more convenient because no soaking time like the 3 piece set.

So I am planning to get a knife, bob kramer sink bridge, and sharpening stone set soon. Do you have any upcoming sale for the Holidays like other stores?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Artifex or Fernandez?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Get Shaun's knife. The steel and grind are good and the handle is special.

Try the 5pc set but both will work well so it's your call. Just to be clear, hard stones are easier to use, not more difficult. Soft stones are easy to gouge and also can roll your edges if you're not careful. The glass stones are hard and that makes them easy to use.

We don't usually do sales. We try to give people a fair price and leave it at that.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]