It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misono UX-10 gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:57 pm 

After reading numerous reviews, I've concluded that this knife is top of the bill. I've not read a single negative review of it.

The only thing I worry about is the steel. Sharpening is a hobby of mine and I'd like every knife to get a very good edge. What I've read about the UX-10 in this respect is mixed. Some people say it's easy to sharpen and that it takes a very keen edge. Others say it's more difficult to sharpen.

Misono does very well in not revealing wat the composition of their UX-10 steel is. But I get the impression it's 19C26.

What do you guys think? What steel is it? Is it as easy to sharpen as AEB-L? And does it take a similar edge? Or it is way off?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Misono UX-10 gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

No, it's not as easy to sharpen as AEB-L.

It's not overly difficult to sharpen though.

My complaint with the UX10 is, price aside, the steel is blah. Good, but nothing special. That, coupled with the price = better deals.

Now, every UX10 I've seen has had exceptional F&F

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm 

watercrawl wrote:
=========================

No, it's not as easy to sharpen as AEB-L.

It's not overly difficult to sharpen though.

My complaint with the UX10 is, price aside, the steel is blah. Good, but nothing special.

=========================

That's shit :-( . But thanks for the warning :-). The most important reason I am going to spend so many dollars is that I want top quality steel. Sharpening is a hobby of mine, so I definitely want a knife that is able to take a very keen edge.

It doesn't have to be M390, ability to keep an edge is not a factor, since I'll be sharpening it long before it gets too dull anyway :-). And it must be stainless, since my girlfriend will be using this knife a lot as well :-). And I mean truly stainless. Konosuke HD and Carbonext, even though they may have great steel, don't meet this criterion.

Originally I thought I'd get an Artifex, since this is an entry-level gyuto with great steel. And after that I'd get the gyuto I really want. But that seems sorry for the money spent on the Artifex, since I'd get the top gyuto anyway.

My criteria are:
- steel that is able to take a keen edge
- stainless steel
- western (yo) handle, suitable for fairly large hands. no compromises here.
- good F&F

What would you recommend as my top gyuto? I'm willing to spend a few dollars.

Last edited by mark76 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

First, there a butt load of really great gyuto/chef's knives out there.

Am I correct to assume you have none...right?

If that's the case, please try not to get hung up on the "What's the greatest knife for $xxx.xx". It doesn't exist. There is no "One knife to rule them all".....although I did once label a knife that....and I stand by that assertation I made back then.....BTW, that was a $600.00 Kikuichi ginsanko knife.....awesome knife.

Today, though, there are far more choices available and so many variables we can play with.

Let's examine what you have stated you want:

Steel that is able to take a keen edge - Okay, how keen? Are we talking you want to stop time with an edge capable of splitting atoms? Or are we talking a great edge? AEB-L takes as keen of edge as I've found in stainless. Nothing else gets finer.

Stainless steel - used in steel selection above.

Western large handle - Probably going to be a key in your decision since it's a "no compromise" criteria.

Good F&F - How good? Are we talking custom, $600 knife good.....or is good good enough? Most knives have good fit & finish. But this is personal....my good might be your shitty. I've come to accept small blemishes in anything sub $300.00.

At the end of the day.....here's my recommendation:

Buy an Artifex 240mm gyuto and send it to Tim (taz575) or me and have one of us put a killer (big ass) handle on it and touch up any minor F&F issues on the blade if there are any (which there probably won't be).

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

Thanks, Adam!

I currently have two chef knives: a Zwilling knife (which I don’t like: far too heavy and a soft steel) and a Global G2 knife (which I like better, but I want a step up in terms of steel quality and handle).

The “quote” tag doesn’t seem to work here, so I’ll use stripes.

============
Steel that is able to take a keen edge - Okay, how keen? Are we talking you want to stop time with an edge capable of splitting atoms? Or are we talking a great edge? AEB-L takes as keen of edge as I've found in stainless. Nothing else gets finer.
============

Yup, AEB-L is my target. That indeed seems to be the stainless steel that is able to take the best edge. However, I’d settle for something like 19C27. But please no worse than that (and if the Misono is worse, then that it is a no-go.)

============
Western large handle - Probably going to be a key in your decision since it's a "no compromise" criteria.
============

Yes, that’s important to me and one of the reasons I selected the Misono.

============
Good F&F - How good? Are we talking custom, $600 knife good.....or is good good enough?
============

Good is good enough.

Any other recommendations than the Artifex? I was thinking of a Konosuke HH with yo handle, a Hiromoto G3 and a few other knives…

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, if you are going to have it re handles, it is possible to make a Wa handle knife have a Western shaped handle on it. It usually won't have the metal bolster like on the Western handles, but there are ways around that, too. So if there is a sweet Wa handled Stainless knife, it can be converted to look/feel like a Western handle :)

But I really like the AEB-L in the Artifex series :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 am 

Sounds like a good idea to get custom handles on an Artifex. However, if it’s not necessary, I’d rather not do it. I would be a bit of a hassle, and probably be costly, since I think the handles on the custom Artifexes offered on the site are not for me. Much nicer material, for sure, but they still seem fairly small and not as ergonomic as those on the Misono. And I’d prefer a metal bolster (not a big one like on German knives, but only around the handle).

What do you guys think of the Konosuke HH with a yo handle and the Hiromoto G3? They both seem to have steel that is able to take a great edge (does the Konosuke have a steel similar to 19C27?). I’m just not sure whether their handles are as ergonomic as those on the Misono. I have fairly large hands and found that a good handle is really important to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]