It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro Pivot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm 

I've had my Edge Pro Apex for a couple of months and have been sharpening everything I can get my hands on. I love the results that I get on every knife I try. The thing is amazing.

There is one problem that has come up on the last couple of knives. It's sticking a little where the rod slides through the pivot. There seems to be a little wear here with the hole getting a little bit oval.

It's probably from not cleaning it as well as I should.

What should I do to clean it and avoid more problems? The rod doesn't seem to be removable for cleaning.

Thanks,
Allen

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Pivot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 am 

Just take the pivot rod and the stone rod out and wash it with dish soap at the sink. Dry it off best you can. The entire thing is meant to be used with water stones so getting it wet won't hurt it. I've had the same problem a couple of times and I have also used a drop or two of any oil. I think the problem comes from dirty water from the stone running down the arm and into the pivot. You can take the cap off the stone arm if you want. It just taps back on. I don't see any reason to do that though. And if you did it too many times it may stop staying on.

It's really a pain when you get that dirty feeling. The first time I felt it I thought the stones were not sliding on the blade correctly for some reason. The sharpener works much better when you can feel the stone/edge as you stroke it. You should be able to feel the difference in differnt grits. Also it feels different when you are hitting the edge or not hitting the edge with a stone. It's hard to feel these things when the rod is sticking.

Hose it off, drop of oil and you're good. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ben recommends a drop of dish soap in there to keep it lubricated.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:20 am 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:Ben recommends a drop of dish soap in there to keep it lubricated.

When I started out with the EP I tried the dishwasher soap thingy - mistake!

Unless you keep the rod wet, the stiction is 100 x worse once the liquid dishwasher soap goes dry....

Use a good teflon based, thin lubricant.

...my 2c...

:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

I like that idea better.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:50 am 

I don't have any teflon lube, but have been using water and that works pretty well. I have to re-wet it frequently, but it's not a big inconvenience. The water bottle that comes with the EP works well for this.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:48 am 

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but reading it triggered fond memories of my father. Living as he did in working class London before and after the war, and as an aircraft maintenance officer with the RAF, he grew to be pretty cagey and resourceful. Luckily, I was one of the few kids who actually listened to his old man.

For this problem, he would have taken a pencil and filed down a pile of graphite shavings. (Me? I would throw some mechanical pencil leads into a coffee grinder.) He would then fill the inside of the pivot hole with graphite and tamp it down, then work it around with the point of an awl. Then work the rod back and forth to impregnate the plastic with graphite. Repeat.

I have been wary of using a lubricant such as Tri-Flow because I'm not certain about the compatiblity of the solvent with the plastic. It could possibly exacerbate the situation and hasten the enlargement of the hole.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm 

I would imagine something like this link would work fine. You can get oil for commercial slicer rods from any manufacturer like Globe, Hobart, Berkel, etc. It doesn't gum up the works, but less is more...doesn't take but a drop or so smoothed out over the rod length. Don't know if this is necessary, though, since keeping the rod clean is I'm sure the best thing to do.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart- ... 00182.html

Don't use cooking oil or you will definitely get gumming.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm 

3-1 oil or silicone spray.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:53 am 

If you have it, gun grease works great.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]