It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening with diamond plates
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:06 pm 

Jason B. wrote:You waited for your EF stone to break-in without complaint so why wouldn't you wait for another DMT stone? Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

If you bought a coarse DMT hone you would need to run the same course, though the opinion might be it looses its coarseness.

Bottom line, DMT stones need a break-in period and its not going to happen with one knife.

The EEF stone provides a very fine finish to the right steel (hard and wear resistant metals) but its not going to be a mirror edge, that's why DMT made diamond paste.

I know where you are coming from about the waiting for all grit stones. That's were my complaint comes in. I have spent at least 10 times the time and use of the EEF stone without the results I hoped for. I still can finish with the EF stone and have a very nice bevel. Then I use the EEF stone and the finish looks like I used the fine (F) stone again. I am completely confused about this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't imagine what. Once I askd DMT if there was a way to speed up the break-in time. They suggested rubbing my new EF stone (2x6" continuous) gently with my F stone under running water. I must have rubbed too hard because about half the diamond abrasive was immediately removed from the EF stone. They replaced it immediately. GREAT customer service. I decided short cuts can be a waste of time. Who knew? :oops: I know, I should have. :D I broke in that stone using the same knife I used on the EEF 4.25" stone with very acceptable results. After 20 or 30 minutes of sharpening the knife on the EF 6" stone the scratch pattern is now consistant from knife to knife. The time I spent is approximated as it was not in one sitting and it wasn't timed. If I were to have timed the amount of time I've spent on the EEF stone I know it would be 3 hours or more. I kept waiting and waiting for the scratch pattern to virtually disappear but it is still leaving a scratch pattern not consistant with any stone type called EEF. You are not the only one to question my resultes. I've questioned them myself, especially since you also are not the only one to have gotten much better performance out of DMT EEF stones.

The diamond paste was a real eye opener for me. It was the first thing I ever used that immediately saved me money in regards to sharpening. I was going to buy a new set of wood chisels because I couldn't get them as sharp as I wanted them. I bought the paste and watched the videos and when the paste arrived I had a set of chisels as razor sharp (or sharper) than brand new ones. Talk about happy. I knew I could keep them sharp also. :D

Anyway, I've used enough DMT products (bench, Aligner, mini, etc.) that I know what to expect as far as break in and afterwards. I'm just stumped by what I'm getting from the EEF stone. :?: The fact that I'm stumped bugs me more than anything to be truthful. :cry: Since DMT already replace the stone once I'm convinced it wasn't a case of a "lemon" stone. I'll keep on working on it and see what happens.

One question. Do you think using water or dry makes a difference during the break-in period? I figured it didn't matter. I normally use DMT stones dry. I've used water on the continuous stones but not normally on the corrugated small stones. I'm open to any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:45 pm 

My EEF stone took about 1-2 years before I felt it was where it needed to be and that's with high volume sharpening. You can't expect a mirror polish either as it will not provide it.

I have the set of diasharps and tend to use soapy water on the finer stones as I find it to be smoother, provide a cleaner scratch pattern, and burr removal is a bit easier as less tends to form. During break-in? I don't think it will do much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:08 pm 

I wonder if it is possible that your new EEF stone is mislabeled?

Years ago I bought a set of 4 Dia-Sharp stones from DMT. The big ones with the mesh pattern like you have I think. They were graduated from XC through XF. These plates are double sided with one side fine (Red) and the reverse side extra fine (Green). I immediately suspected that the XF plate was actually coarser than the F plate. A phone call to DMT assured me that could not happen. Anyway, after a lot of frustration trying to figure it out (I didn't have a loupe or any diagnostic skills then) I finally just started using the F Red stone as the XF stone in my progression. Since then I have been happy with the plates and have gotten good service out of them.

So in my opinion DMT makes high quality products, but in these double sided stones at least, they can make a mistake in labeling. I also think that progressing to a fine grit Shapton or two in your progression would immediately solve your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:42 pm 

case wrote:I wonder if it is possible that your new EEF stone is mislabeled?

Years ago I bought a set of 4 Dia-Sharp stones from DMT. The big ones with the mesh pattern like you have I think. They were graduated from XC through XF. These plates are double sided with one side fine (Red) and the reverse side extra fine (Green). I immediately suspected that the XF plate was actually coarser than the F plate. A phone call to DMT assured me that could not happen. Anyway, after a lot of frustration trying to figure it out (I didn't have a loupe or any diagnostic skills then) I finally just started using the F Red stone as the XF stone in my progression. Since then I have been happy with the plates and have gotten good service out of them.

So in my opinion DMT makes high quality products, but in these double sided stones at least, they can make a mistake in labeling. I also think that progressing to a fine grit Shapton or two in your progression would immediately solve your problem.

Mislabeling never occurred to me but it would explain it. The EEF stone I have is the 4.25" corrogated surface with a tan base. I find it hard to believe they could do this but mistakes do happen. I do have 3 Shapton glass stones for the EP that do pick up where all of my other stones leave off. I have the 500, 2k and 6k stones. I would like a 1k stone and 8k to finish off a set for me.

Jason says it took a year or more for his EEF stone to get broken in. I'm going to continue working on mine just out of curiousity. If this amount of time is accurate I'd be a firm believer in not buying any DMT EEF product. All of the other grits are great IMO. If I do get it broken in and have a nice EEF stone, I will owe Jason a sandwich. :)

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2