It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: My new Kanehiro Wa-Gyuto is ruined
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am 

That truly sucks! Never saw it that bad though. I did a kosher function once and they didn't allow used/non kosher knives in the synagogue and I had just bought a new Takeda so decided to use it on a case of yams because the in house knives were so dull and I was getting blisters. I really regretted doing that it but it definitely beat cutting with dull cutco's. In the end I probably had a few microchips but they were gone after sharpening. It only confirms what I already knew to never use any of my good knives on hard veg, not even carrots specifically the jumbo steroid injected carrots. I always leave the tougher tasks for VG10 =D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 am 

All easy fixes. Have no fear, the knife is not ruined, someone here will be able to help you, if not, I will. Just add a micro bevel and perhaps back off on the angle a bit. I have had many a knife start with micro chipping until i tweeked them a bit only to become solid performers.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm 

When you get a new Japanese knife, it is often best to sharpen it. They often leave the edge thin and long so you have some metal to remove when you put the edge on it that you like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm 

Thanks all for your advice... I really appreciate your offers to fix my knife for me but I live in the UK so I will take it down to Japanese Knife Company here in London to have the tip done as I dont fancy trying tot sort that out with only a 500 grit stone... I am not sure if I will get them to sharpen it or if I should attempt to do it myself? As I said in my first post, I did give it a quick run over my higher grit stones before use but I was following the very acute angle that the maker had put on it.

Any of you that have one of these? If so, I want to polish up the large primary bevel that it came with rather than leave it with the rough finish it originally came with... Do you think there is any problem with this? I intend to give it a good run on the 500 grit beston, then gradually work my way through the 1200 bester, 5000 suehiro rika and polish it with my 8000 kitayama. If I do this, is there going to be any problems keeping it from staining? I know the exposed AS core will patina over time but will the stainless cladding be affected with such treatment? Also (now this post is running away from my OP but) is there any need for me to force a patina or do anything so that the knife wont react with foods?

For the record, I did my vg10 knives with these 4 stones I mentioned above and my god they are good now!! Also, Mark, could you pass on my thanks to susan for her help with my order, she was an absolute champ!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 am 

The Kanehiro is a great knife! Now I know the damage looks bad to you but really that's a very minor fix. It can very quickly and easily be brought back as good as new.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2