It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: >> Strop <<
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the HA strop set at Mark's, but the leather/balsa set is out-of-stock & only the balsa/balsa set is available. Individually, the horse leather pad is out-of-stock, as well, but the tanned bovine and split leather are available.

I'm looking to get some double duty with the strop for knives but also on a straight edge razor, as well. So my question is if I'm forced to buy the balsa/balsa set & supplement w/an additional leather pad... which leather would you choose?

I'd end up w/ balsa loaded w/1 micron diamond, .25 micron diamond & either tanned-bovine or split leather...

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: >> Strop <<
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm 

I have the balsa set and two tanned bovine pads, one split pad, and one horse pad. I would say wait for the horse to be in stock if you can only have one. If you can have more than one get the split now and grab a horse later when it is available.

I decided it was a better deal to get the balsa set and add the leather pads vs. the leather set up and adding balsa pads. Not sure that I recall what got me there but that was how I ended up getting it. The results from stropping are super.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

PARADOX <> What razor(s) are you stropping on all the leathers you reference?

Are they Westerns or Japanese?

I wouldn't imagine the split leather would be appropriate for a razor. You're getting "super results" with it?

May I extrapolate from your reply you feel the horse leather leaves the best shave ready edge?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 pm 

Sorry my man I guess I thought I was responding to the same post you made in the sharpening Q&A section, I got crossed up. I'm only doing knives with mine and yes I think the horse with the .125 micron spray leaves the finest edge. Keeps my left arm pretty clean shaved. 8-) I think the kangaroo will do even better but I only have an EP blank with the 'roo on it so I can't say for sure. I like the hand stropping results much better than EP stropping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 am 
Forum Moderator

PARADOX <> ;) No worries... but not the same post. One thread was posted in the knife forum for a kitchen knife perspective. This one in the shaving forum to receive the opinion of the resident straight-edgers: Bullman, Michael, Magnus, or anyone lurking that shaves daily w/a straight edge. Shaving your arm, and shaving your face are different animals; very different hair & very different skin. Like basically everyone else on this forum, I sporadically thin out & sharpen one of my Gyutos to acute angles & shave my face with it for shits & giggles, but sharpening a razor is not something I've done before.

We just added this forum topic, and it hasn't quite taken off yet so I attempt to instigate conversation. I have been sharpening my knives for over two decades, but never a razor so I'm hoping more shaving posts attract more straight-edge savants to spread their wealths of knowledge. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 am 

I have never sharpened a razor before either. So no worries there.

You might consider being less of a dick to the people that try to answer your questions though even if they do get mixed up by your asking the same questions in more than one place. I'm betting you'd get something closer to what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:06 am 
Forum Moderator

It's funny you say that, as its exactly what I was considering while... Image ...reading an answer that did not reply to the question I posed.

To paraphrase amid the context of a straight edge razor sub-forum, "If splitting a strop between both kitchen knives & razors, which leather (tanned or split) would you buy to supplement balsa loaded w/1 & 1/4 micron diamond sprays?"

As opposed to what I asked in a knife sharpening forum, "Which would you choose [to strop a knife]... tanned or split leather?"

Two different questions, poised to different target audiences.

I had reckoned, you were unfamiliar with online forums & their topical sub-forum structures so I tempered my response with a gently politically correct reply. I'll make sure to remember to sugar coat everything for you in the future.

A surprise requisite for sure, not quite the paradigm I expected your paradox to lie...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Keep foul language away from this board. Keep our discussions civilised and if you do run into an issue, discuss the privately before attacking each other on our forum. I do not see where Melampus had a "smarmy pissant attitude". Posts got mixed up. It's the internet. Mistakes happen.

Shaving you face and arms are indeed very different. It's really night and day. A 400 grit edge can cleanly shave your arm, but will destroy your face.

For a strop, I tend to use horse leather only when it comes to razors as I find it a tad stiffer and less prone to rounding the leather.
My knife and razor strops aren't the same either. I guess I'm just overly protective when it comes to my strops. Some use them for both and don't seem to mind.

Do you have a hanging strop to finish on? If not, that should be the first thing on your "to buy-list.

I'm not fond of the 0.25µ diamond as a finisher for a razor. A better option imo is the 0.3µ alox gel. it's a lot more forgiving and offers a close to perfect shave for me.

I hope this helps.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 am 
Forum Moderator

MICHIEL <> You reference your tendency to use horse leather because it's stiffer. May I then deduce kangaroo is inappropriate due to it being so soft?

Regarding the .3 alox... do you load the balsa, the horse/bovine strop or the hanging strop? Better yet, what's your touch up progression, and what's your sharpening progression?

Regarding the hanging strop... I'm ordering the dog's package tomorrow, and quite excited about it! :D

Thanks again for the input! Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I never use pastes or sprays on a hanging strop. I use it on bench strops or on balsa.

For touch ups I use 0.3µ alox. if that doesn't help anymore, I go back to stones. 8k + 15k most of the time.

Roo works wonderful I hear, but still haven't tried it myself. Jens (one of the best honers I know) uses i a lot for very fine compounds (0.125µ and finier)

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next