It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My new Kanehiro Wa-Gyuto is ruined
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:09 pm 

So I have wanted to buy my first carbon knife for a long time and decided I was going to go with Aogami Super. After much deliberation, I settled on the Kanehiro 240mm Wa-Gyuto. When it arrived, I was in awe of it... The fit and finish was superb as well as the edge being super sharp out of the box. I couldn't wait to use it!! I know that carbon knives are much more brittle and delicate that my current shun but I am pretty fussy when it comes to looking after things and figured that I should not have too many problems taking care of it. When I got it to work I was eager to try it out on my mornings prep list but after only 20 minutes of prepping parsnips, I found the edge had heaps of micro chips and I don't know how, but the tip has snapped off...!!! I haven't dropped it, knocked it or anything dramatic like that, I just used it as I would use my shun. I am devastated, and now I am here to find out exactly how much care I should be taking with my knife and hopefully hear from all the long time users of carbon knives, just what I should do now for my knife and how I should be using my pride and joy.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Post subject: Re: My new Kanehiro Wa-Gyuto is ruined
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

How much of the tip is gone?? Twisting it into a hard food item, prying, etc can snap any tip off. I had a mm or two of the tip of a $900 Honyaki Kiritsuke pop off when I took tape off of the blade after I just finished a custom handle for it.

Also, most Japanese knives aren't fully sharpened or deburred, so you may be seeing the burr chipping off??

Any pics??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 pm 

Have you sharpened it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm 

Hey Taz thanks for the quick reply..! only about 1.5mm of the tips is gone I'd say... there is also a small chip in the heel. When I got the knife I also got the 5 piece Imanishi stone kit plus the kitayama 8000 stone and i gave the knife a quick run over the 1200, 5000 and 8000 stones. but I followed the original and very acute primary bevel. Should I have put a secondary bevel on it before use so that the blade profile was not too fine?? here are some pix... dont mind the pen mark... it was just the line i planned to follow when I repair the tip...
photo 2-1.JPG [20.16 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

photo 1-1.JPG [23.12 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

photo 3-1.JPG [20.79 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

photo 4-1.JPG [19.14 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachments:
photo 1-1.JPG [23.12 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 pm 

Add a microbevel and/or increase the edge angle and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Don't worry, I'll help you.

Email me and I'll help you out. One good idea is to sharpen before you take it to work. Sometimes the edges are a little chippy on aogami out of the box.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm 

Making the edge angle less acute will help sturdy the cutting edge. It should be fine after the repair.
How should I type this without sounding like a bully... I'm not exactly sure how big the chips are from the pics, but I'm concerned if someone were to eat sharp metal bits.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 pm 

I had thought that reducing the cutting angle would be a good place to start. After going back over the way I was using the knife, I'm pretty sure I have caused the damage as result of poor technique... As for the pieces of metal... I did find the tip and I'm glad that I did as thats totally not safe...
I will drop you an email soon Mark.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 am 

Yeah sorry to hear about that, but from what I've read technique might have something to do with it some. Although AS is chippy but normally only when taken to a low degree. If you twist the knife and such then yes chips will happen that way, and from the pictures I'm thinking that might have been what happened. But if you put about a 15 degree on it, (think out of the box is like 12) That should fix any real chipping. I have a Moritaka that I had thinned out a good bit set to 10 and I might get some micro chipping but that is after 8 nonstop hours of cutting on poly. But hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 am 
Forum Moderator

Kanehiro's are awesome, so I'm going to fix the knife for you. Aaron got to see a great video last year, almost a year to the date, of a Kanehiro mangling my finger. It was gruesome. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next