It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dojo (Kobayashi) Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 am 

Hello Everyone,
For Xmas I bought my mother-in-law a Dojo(Kobayashi) Gyuto to try to introduce her to some better performing kitchen knives. Previously she had been using Cutco kitchen 'knives' for several years. Of course they were horrible. Now after may Q&A sessions together we decided upon the Dojo(Kobayashi) line of knives. Now I personally prefer wa handled knives but my mother-in-law had no preference. Over all fit and finish of the knife is ok. There are some uneven grinds and mild distortion of the blade.
Now fast forward to 4 months later. I realized that some people struggle with the concept of drying a knife after washing, and/or not leaving it on a wet towel. My mother-in-law is still adapting to that concept thus you can see some rust mixed in with the patina on the Blue I portion of the blade. However at this point I am very impressed with the performance of the Dojo. Now keep in mind that the Dojo has been used by several members of the family who are not used to fine edges and hard steel. They cut everything from a tomato to roasts with this knife. The edge has held up surprisingly well! It has some minor chipping after 4 months, a roll at the tip (likely contact with metal serving plate), and reasonable dulling. I have used 1u HA diamond compound on either a balsa strop or bovine to bring back the edge to of usable sharpness; shaves arm hair, passes Carter 3 finger test, slices tomato etc.
I plan to update you all on longer term use and results once I sharpen it and give it some use. Overall however, I suggest that the Dojo line holds a great value with Blue I that performs well especially for the price.

Post subject: Re: Dojo (Kobayashi) Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:01 am 
Forum Moderator

I really have to try out this line soon. Seems like a great knife for the price!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

The dojo is a nice start up of medium kind of knife, now it's time to upgrade mom to a better knife a Fujiwara or s tojiro dp would be a nice upgrade for mom and she can leave it wet a little longer or just break the bank and go for a addict or remedy or ultimatum. I will send I a pm. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

(This topic was moved from "Sharpening Q&A" at the request of the poster.)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 pm 

I am thinking a Richmond Artifex will be the next one to join her block.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the review and welcome to the forum! :) I should have the Artifex knives back in stock soon. Hopefully I ordered enough so I won't ever run out again.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 pm 

Yup, have to agree with you a lot on all you said sir. The video I did of my nakiri, (I had sold it to a co-worker) I told her I would sharpen it for her after she used it for a good month of 5 days a week at work on a poly board. I lowered it to 10 perside and added a micro, there were still some chips but the damn thing still had some fight left in her. There are a few problems with the evenness and such, but for the price and how they perform hard to beat.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

I have a Dojo Petty and Nakiri, and don't see how a stainless blade could ever top AS steel in terms of sharpness. Certainly nowhere near as easy to sharpen, not by a long shot. Plus the stainless cladding makes it so user-friendly for knife noobs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]