It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: What was your first GOOD knife?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Richmond Laser or Addict 2!!! I went from Henkels to a Kyocera Ceramic Santoku, to a Kikuichi Elite Carbon Gyuto and then several other Japanese knives (Fujiwara Terayasu Nakiri, some Tojiro Shirogame knives, Hon Kasumi Deba and a few others, including more Tojiro's). They have all been nice, but I just got an Addict 2 in today, very light, thin and looks great! I've had light knives, but not this light!! Much lighter than my Kikuichi! I prefer carbon, but don't mind stainless as long as it will take a fine edge (AEB-L, CPM154). May get an Addict 2 in 52100.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:38 pm 

I guess my 210 Mighty Mac would be the first...but my Moritakas definitely helped move the mac to the knife bag almost permanently

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:05 pm 
VIP Member

My first knife that was not a Henckel or Global was a Richmond Addict 1. I was so surprised knives could be like this and I have used knives on a daily basis for the last 15 years in a pro kitchen. I just reprofiled it and just can't wait to use it again.

I just recently got a 240mm Devin Thomas ITK Wa-Gyuto in AEB-L and this has caused another complete shift in thinking about the way I use a knife and of what a good knife is capable.

I have a 240mm Konosuke HD, the Addict 1, the DT, and later this week I will have a 240mm Suisin INOX Honyaki Wa-Gyuto to play with. While I expect to be surprised and pleased with the Suisin, I really can't see how it will replace my DT. I am truly in love with the DT. It just cuts better than ANYTHING I have ever held.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Masahiro 210mm VC gyuto.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:23 pm 

First Japanese Knife was Tojiro DP 240mm, just about a year ago. Now I own 9 japanese knifes and have another on the way. The knife that has most impressed me is my Blazen 270mm Gyuto. Mark I have used the UX10 and for me I enjoy the edge retention and heft of the blazon a little bit more. As for everyone saying they are hooked on Jap knives, I will agree 100% I am never going back.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 pm 

Sabatier. You said good not great.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 am 

10" shun elite, the only good knife I had for 3 years then my car was stolen with it in there and lost it. When I we to replace it I found that they were discontinued, I finally found one and ordered it and some other knifes from Cktg (konosuke hd fujiwara carbon and two tojiro Itk) needless to say I sent the elite back and had a complete change of feeling about the knife I loved for three years. It was not a bad knife just not on the same level as the HD in the same price range.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 am 

Tojiro PS 210 gyuto, Tojiro DP 120 petty, Hiromoto HC 240 gyuto. All purchased at the same time.

Sadly i have sold all but the Petty. If i could take them back, i'd do that in a second!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:47 am 

Custom Murray Carter 9.3sun High Grade Gyuto, Medium Thick.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:47 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm shocked. :shock: I just read through 3 pages of replies, and all but three's "first good knife" was a Japanese blade. I concur, in that, overall the Japanese create a superior kitchen knife, but I've been using knives professionally for 21 years and I reckon that to discount the German knives 99% of us grew up on is a disservice. But hey... that's just my take on the poll.

As for me, my 20cm Wusthof Avantgarde Chef's was the first "good" knife I wielded. I was a couple years into food service, and had always been relegated to using house knives (stamped garbage). I saved up $120, if I remember correctly, and I was so psyched when I placed the order for my first "good knife."

A week or two later, this burgeoning passion had begun...

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3