It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Travelling Stones Advice Needed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 pm 

I have put together a good set of sharpening stones from CKTG which tend to be large, heavy, wet, and messy. Together with a sink bridge, stone holder, lights and strops, etc. it is a great home set-up, but I have found a limitation. I will be leaving in about 12 days to visit relatives in several states who all are great cooks with lots of dull knives which I would like to sharpen for them (to repay them for all the great meals I will have). But my sharpening system I have determined is not very portable. I will be gone for several months. (Florida is nice this time of year.)

So I am thinking of purchasing a sharpening system which travels well. My freehand sharpening is not too bad so I am thinking about a Shapton Glass three or four stone set. I probably will need a good course stone as I know there are some pretty dull knives where I am going.

Another option I am very curious about is an Edge Pro system such as the Apex 7 kit. I have never used one or even seen one other than on the videos, but they seem like quality products. They also appear to be pretty handy to travel with as a travel bag is even included.

It seems that either of these options would travel by automobile well and would not take up too much room or be to messy in a crowded holiday household.

I would really welcome thoughts from Mark or from the readers of this forum on either of these options, or any other great ideas.

Thanks. Colorado Case.

Post subject: Re: Travelling Stones Advice Needed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Yes the shapton glass stones are perfect for you. They're good, thin, light and splash and go. Perfect for a road trip to the relatives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 am 

I've been using an Edge Pro for about 3 years. I am adequate at best at free-hand sharpening. I've never traveled with the EP but I'm sure it would be very easy to travel with and use. But, I wouldn't suggest getting one just for the trip. Not unless you would want to continue to use it when back home. Since I'm not a very good sharpener by hand I am very slow to get a knife reprofiled or a very dull knife sharp. The EP (for me) speeds things up tremendously. But that's just a matter of what you are used to. So, the EP may be slow for you until you get used to it. You probably want to use the tools that you can use well AND fast. You will need as much time as possible for eating and other things, and eating. :)

Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 am 

Chances are, unless they are knife nuts, they are using crap stainless, vg10 at best. You don't need a full range of stones to accommodate those. I would get the king combo stone and call it good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I do tend to agree with kalaeb here.

But, the GlassStone's are better stones, so you could still just get a 3 stone set of GS's and be about as heavy as the combo stone. :)

My vote goes to stone's over EdgePro. I still feel there is more you can do with stone's than an EP. If the knives are chipped, for instance, I know I could fix it faster with a stone than with an EP.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm 

kalaeb wrote:Chances are, unless they are knife nuts, they are using crap stainless, vg10 at best. You don't need a full range of stones to accommodate those. I would get the king combo stone and call it good.

I hadn't thought of this but kalaeb is probably right. But, if one of your friends/family has nice knives you may REALLY want to be prepared for their needs as they will care more than people who don't know or care about the difference in knives. If they care enough to pay for quality, you may want to deliver the best you can as well. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 pm 

Great advice from everyone! I am much obliged. I am still mulling over the options, but will decide soon.

Kaleb is probably right - the King combo stone would probably be adequate. But my kin folks are proud of their knives. They tend to all be those too big German sets with matching knives bristling from the counter top knife block. Maybe I can convince them that a few sharp knives are better than 20 dull ones. I know that I have to get at least one slicing knife sharp prior to carving the turkeys though. Its embarrassing laying out those shredded slices on the platter.

I think Shapton Glass is the way to go, but I still am very curious about the Edge Pro. I don't know if I am worried that it won't improve my sharpening - or that it will.

Thanks again. Case.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 am 
Forum Moderator

COLORADO <> If they're all Germans, you could do very well with @$50 just a green brick & some time. Everyone here knows I'm a proponent of combo-stones in scenarios like this, but the 800/6000 is a big spread. Tojiro makes a 1000/3000 for $49.95 that would be more appropriate. The glass set is a broad option... but $175. For $140 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html you could get a three stone set up to the venerable Suehiro Rika 5K plus the loop & felt.

I carry a Bester 1200, Rika 5K & a Kityama in my checked baggage all the time. I flat pack them in a suitcase, segregated & supported by a magazine & cushioned top/bottom with clothing. I leave a note for TSA exagerrating their fragility & requesting they're returned as they were found. Since 2007, not one has broken (knock on wood). :?

For Wusthofs/Henkels, you don't need all that range though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 pm 

I appreciate all the great options I got from you guys. I decided to go with the Shapton 3 stone set. They are on order and should arrive in a couple of more days. Looking forward to the different feed of the glass stones. Thanks again. Colorado Case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome! :) Let us know how it goes.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next