It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which Richmond gyuto... or Hiromoto?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 am 

I'm considering a new gyoto and the Richmond gyuto's have caught my eye. However, I am not sure what the difference is between the Artifex (AEB-L) and the laser. Sure, the Artifex has a western handle and the laser a wa handle, but that doesn't matter to me.

Is the laser much thinner? I read somewhere the laser is ground better than the Artifex, but does that justify the price difference? (I can sharpen quite well and usually the first thing I do when I get a new knife is sharpen it.)

As an alternative I was considering the Hiromoto Ginsan gyuto. This also has a great steel. Can anyone compare this to the Richmond knives?

Post subject: Re: Which Richmond gyuto... or Hiromoto?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Laser versus Artifex is one of those "You get what you pay for".

If you simply want a great knife that you can beat on....or you're not into paying the big bucks, the Artifex is a smoking deal. Good steel, good handle, good grind....crazy price.

The Laser is just kind of better in every way and to be honest you'd expect that for 3x the price. More attention is paid, more time is spent....it's the little details. The handle wood is nicer, the grind is slightly better, etc.

The Hiromoto Ginsan is also a nice knife. However, the Laser is nicer knife. :) Ginsanko is among my most favorite stainless steels, but AEB-L is my favorite. The F&F on the Laser is better than the Hiromoto (again, price shows that here). The value in the Hiromoto, IMHO, is lost on the Ginsanko.....it's the AS version that I feel is a better deal.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 pm 

Thanks, Adam. I guess my question, at least when comparing the two Richmonds, is: what actually is F&F?

I understand the wooden handle and attention to details. However, from an $80 knife I’d also expect the blade to be well attached to the handle, to fit well, etc. How does this attention to detail show?

And you write the grind is better on the laser. Does this matter if the first thing I do is sharpen the knife?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the handle on the Artifex is well attached and fits well. It's not that at all.

Here's a good example....the scales on the less expensive knives aren't always 100% in contact with the tang. Sometimes you can see a small gap that has been filled with epoxy. Please don't think GAPPING HOLE either....just a tiny little thing. Someone didn't spend the time making sure the joint was absolutely flush. It's tiny little things like that.

They don't make the knife any less functional, they don't make the knife cut any worse, etc. They're cosmetic blemishes only.

Grind can't be changed with a simple sharpening. I like the geometry on the Laser a lot.....but the Artifex cuts very well. I'm not a "laser" knife user most of the time....but I do have them and I really think Mark's Laser hit that "laser" grind on the head.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]