It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reconfigured Artifex
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:56 pm 

Saw the announcement on Facebook that the Artifex had been reconfigured with a different hande and profile. Is it different enough from the original to warrant the additional $70 expenditure?

Post subject: Re: Reconfigured Artifex
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

The main improvement is with the handle. We're using black micarta and trimmed down the front of the handle to make it a little more comfortable to hold and use. It should help balance the knife too because the handle is a little lighter. The grind on the knife should be slightly better but I have to use one before I know for sure if it's a noticeable improvement. The heat treat is the same so all in all I think it's not worth it if you have the orignal to get the new one. There's a huge number of people on the email waiting list for these. I wish I was better at anticipating demand when I first made them. I won't make that mistake again since there are 200 coming this week and 300 more coming in about a month. Lamson just bought a nice engraver so this should speed up lead times a little going forward.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

The original one has a very good grind, and what improvements they made should be minimal. I do like the new handle material.

500 Artifexes... Now that's a picture I'd like to see :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Being a semi-novice at this I have to ask..What do you mean by the "grind" being different?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

It just means they made a very small adjustment on how the steel is ground to make the knife. All knives start out as a blank piece of steel and then they are ground down usually with a subtle convex taper toward the edge and also are tapered toward the tip. This is one of the key factors in making a kitchen knife cut well.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:44 am 
Forum Moderator

What did you tweak on the grind?? How does the grind compare to the Addict 2 or Laser?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the explaination. Is the profile any different?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]