It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scissor Attachment
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with the scissor attachment that is available for the EP Pro?

I'm often asked if I sharpen scissors and sadly I say "no". Now I did watch Harrelson Stanley sharpening a set of shears on Shapton GS and I tried it, I am not positive that I made any real progress. Then I tried to sharpen a set of Henckels scissors and ruined them. I mistakenly sharpened the back (flat side) of the blades and made a hollow. So I scared myself away from sharpening them, I haven't touched any scissors yet.

Anyone try the attachment?

Post subject: Re: Scissor Attachment
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am 

Are you talking strictly about beveled scissors?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 am 

Sailor wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the scissor attachment that is available for the EP Pro?

I'm often asked if I sharpen scissors and sadly I say "no". Now I did watch Harrelson Stanley sharpening a set of shears on Shapton GS and I tried it, I am not positive that I made any real progress. Then I tried to sharpen a set of Henckels scissors and ruined them. I mistakenly sharpened the back (flat side) of the blades and made a hollow. So I scared myself away from sharpening them, I haven't touched any scissors yet.

Anyone try the attachment?

I have the Apex EP, not the Pro so I haven't tried the scissor attachment. But, you can sharpen scissors using the Apex. I can't get to a picture of it right now but what you do is place one scissor blade against the front of the EP Apex blade table and clamp it there with a pair of vise grips. The inside edge of the blade needs to be against the EP. I only have cheap scissors, no hair shears or anything like that. You would need to use something to protect the blade from the vise grips of course. For non-professional use this works fine and is much better than the extra cost of the Pro plus the scissor attachment IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm 

Thanks fellas.
Lucian I was referring to any scissors and shears, . I have a feeling that for doing normal beveled scissors, the attachment would work very well, but for expensive hair salon shears, they would no longer be convex if you used it. I'm sure you need something else, to achieve success on those ones. I realize it can be done by freehand as well.

Thanks for the tip jacknife, I'll give that a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 am 

Sailor wrote:Thanks fellas.
Lucian I was referring to any scissors and shears, . I have a feeling that for doing normal beveled scissors, the attachment would work very well, but for expensive hair salon shears, they would no longer be convex if you used it. I'm sure you need something else, to achieve success on those ones. I realize it can be done by freehand as well.

Thanks for the tip jacknife, I'll give that a shot.
The way jackknife described will work very well for beveled scissors,and considering the price on the attachment it would def be worth your time to spend a couple bucks and buy some beater scissors to practice on.I would not try and high end convex shears with the ep attachment.I remember Dave Martel on another forum trying it and said he ruined some shears with it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]