It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: pleased with my new strops
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:08 am 

i bought the horse butt strop from CKTG, also the Richmond base, 3 balsa pads, and 1 u BC. i already have some .5 u diamond spray and .125 CBN for my straight razor sharpening. i put each of these on its own balsa pad.

i have been freehanding for about 3 months now. i think there is hope for my knife sharpening skills yet. before, i was only able to achieve about 1/8" push cut on copy paper, maybe. slicing copy paper is no problem, but oh the push cut.

so i tried out the strops today. after sharpening, less than 1/8" push cut. then i used just the 1 u BC balsa, and the bare horse butt last. i can't believe it. i was able to push cut a good 1/2" !!

i am very pleased with this progress. i will definitely do some more experimenting in this area. just wanted to share...

pat

Post subject: Re: pleased with my new strops
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:25 am 

Way to go. Keep it up, you will be blown away at the results.

Post subject: Re: pleased with my new strops
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 am 

Dan, thanks for the kind words. this new found passion for knife sharpening can be really addicting! more than anything, i find it very relaxing. i can be sharpening, and after what feels like 10 minutes have gone by, it was really an hour or so. same thing happens when i'm drawing and sketching artwork. here's a pencil drawing i did of my dog, Maxy. she's one "sharp" dog.

pat

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]