It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Please help choose a knife block
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 am 

I am spending some time outside of the US right now and need help finding a knife block that I can buy on Amazon, ChefKnivesToGo, CutleryAndMore, CutleryAndBeyond, or similar sites - and then have it brought to me by a friend. The problem I am having is that I need to find the right knife block online, I cannot just go to a cutlery or knife store and choose it there or ask a consultant for advice. Initially I thought finding a knife block would be an easy matter, but local stores have nothing that can accommodate knives longer than 8", and I have a hard time browsing through Amazon's and other site's catalogues.

I have the following set of knives (all Wusthof, in case that matters for their sizes):
- one 10" chef's knife,
- two 8" chef's knives,
- one 7" santoku,
- one 4.5" utility and one 3.5" utility,

I might buy some more small knives (like a 6" utility or another 4.5" utility, or a filleting knife), but I think I won't be buying any large knives in the immediate future. I think the limiting factor here is that I have four (comparatively) long and wide knives. And as I don't need one of those huge blocks that have 6 or 8 slots for steak knives in addition to their other 10 to 15 slots, I am having a hard time finding a knife block that can accommodate my knives.

I would immensely appreciate any and all advice (preferably with links, if possible, to relevant sellers' websites).

Thank you so much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Please help choose a knife block
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:37 am 

I would think any wusthof block would work

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:11 am 

The Wusthof 22 slot block will handle all the blades you listed. They are available from the vendors you mentioned. They are made of a few different wood types, beech,oak cherry, I have one in black walnut and a 240 gyuto or a 10" chef knife easily fits into the top slot .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator

If you have cabinet drawers that are deep enough, an in drawer knife organizer is nice option as well. Here are some good ones: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/in-drawer-knife-trays. I use grippy shelf liner under mine to help keep it from sliding around in the drawer. It works great :-).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm 

It's not a true knife block. I prefer this to my knife block.

I keep it in a drawer when I am not useing my knives or when kids are around or other undesirables.

Then when I need it I put it on kitchen counter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004T2ZPQ ... SX200_QL40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm 

Unfortunately, not all Wusthof knife blocks fit my knives... In the stores where I am now, I've seen several Wusthof blocks which fit only 8" knives. A lot of knife blocks out there are too short, nowhere near tall enough to accommodate a 10" knife. Also a lot of blocks have only one, two, or three wide slots - and the top four of my knives are pretty wide, they won't fit into the narrow slots for utility, bread knives and the like.

I have also considered other options, such as a magnetic holder or in-drawer trays, but I would like a knife block for various reasons. I thought picking one would be a breeze, but I can't find even a single one that's not huge and fits my knives...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 pm 

PS. Doesn't have to be a Wusthof block or any other specific brand, just any brand (or no-name) will do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm 

Mark sells these Shun blocks:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bambooblock.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shunknifeblock.html

It looks like the smaller one will hold some longer and wider knives. Some slots look pretty wide and one reviewer says it holds a 12" slicer....If you need the exact specs on the individual slots I'm sure Shun has them listed out there somewhere.

Otherwise, the large block looks like it will hold just about anything including a 4" wide clever. Slot dims are listed for that one on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 pm 

I have and like the block emaduro mentioned.

I also use a nine slot Victorinox block that came with a set of Fibroxes I recieved as a wedding gift. It fits a 10" no problem in the larger slot. The second slot is clearly for a long slicer of sorts. The issue for you is the two 8" knives; very few smaller blocks will have room for three full height chef knives.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm 

SteveG wrote:If you have cabinet drawers that are deep enough, an in drawer knife organizer is nice option as well. Here are some good ones: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/in-drawer-knife-trays. I use grippy shelf liner under mine to help keep it from sliding around in the drawer. It works great :-).

Steve, can you recommend a favorite knife dock? I have an off-brand from a friend, and its all full. :) I want to get another one, but I noticed that the distance between the slots makes a big difference in how effective they are, and several that I have seen are a bit tight in this regard. Do you have a favorite that has wider spacing to make it easier to grab Wa handles, without being TOO wide? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next