It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Platinum Member Pass Around
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:49 am 

The pictures of these knives on the web site just don't do justice to any of them. An absolute beautiful group of knives.
Trying to get to know 5 knives in a week can be a little taxing on a home cook but here goes: :|

Sukenari ZDP189: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sudazdgy21.html
Awe the notorious Sukenari ZDP189. Very beautiful knife. I must admit I was a little intimidated but excited about this knife with all the buzz about ZDP189. The handle was a little short on this knife but nothing major, just something I noticed, very good F&F as I expected. Looking down the choil it looked like an excellent grind with a thin edge. It cut very well overall but my feelings were just kind of, eh. I can't say I had any real complaints about it while using it I just didn't connect with it, maybe because my exceptions were too high. There was minimal sticktion but nothing to get excited about. It would be a great knife for that person that is puts absolute priority on edge retention.

Hinoura Tamashii: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hita24gy.html
A beautiful knife ootb if your looking for a kurouchi finish. It is a very even heavy matte finish. My wife commented on the looks of this knife as soon as she saw it, and she's not into knives. This knife has a very nice handle and F&F was as good as it gets. The grind is very thin behind the edge but thickens up considerably in the center of the blade. It cut very nice but I was disappointed in the obvious drag caused by the finish. I'm not used to this type finish so the drag might be minimized in ways I'm not aware of or it might wear down and cut smoother, I can't say for sure. The drag is the only complaint I had with this knife.

Itto Ryu hammered: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ithagy240.html
The test knife had more of a polished finish with the kurouchi more in the dimples, a great looking blade. Very thin behind the edge with a nice but slightly heavy grind. Finally understand the comparison to the Goko and this knife is definitely more the workhorse being very blade heavy. It virtually falls through food with no effort. I doubt I would want to work at a prep station all day with it for fear of fatigue but this is a monster of a knife. The handle is oversized and placed entirely to close to the choil for a comfortable pinch grip. It has a bad gap around the tang, also it's that crappy chestnut w/cheezy plastic ferrule and begs to be replaced. If you can get past the handle a very good knife overall if you need a workhorse.

Kurosaki Megumi: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kumegy24.html
The first thing you notice is the absolute beauty of this knife when it comes out of the box. The F&F on this knife is impeccable, one of the nicer stock handles I've seen and the installation is near perfect. The spine and choil are nicely rounded. I Like the curve in the choil, it makes for a very comfortable pinch grip. This knife is very thin behind the edge and the grind is excellent. This is a blade heavy knife with the balance point at the front of the pinch grip. This is a definite workhorse. The knife cut effortlessly through everything I through at it. As with Adam though, I have my reservations about the VG10. If this knife dispels the reputation about the chippiness of vg10, this will be a must have knife.

Tetsuhiro hammered: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tehawh1.html
Another great looking knife, average handle and good F&F overall. Has a good grind but sightly thick. The knife's White steel performed well. A few strokes on a strop before I started and a few strokes when finished and the blade was hair popping sharp. For those looking for performance and bling this one will fit. A good feeling and cutting knife in the middle weight category.

Post subject: Re: Platinum Member Pass Around
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 am 

Thanks for this Jeff B. Aesthetically, the megumi is a real beauty. Looking forward to hearing more/seeing more reviews on the performance of this knife.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:27 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on all these. It is a shame about the finish on the Tamashii. Hopefully there is a way to deal with it that doesn't involve polishing it off or otherwise hurting the finish. Nice review on the Itto Ryu as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:44 pm 

Jeff B :Good summary of the knives . In your comments on the Hinoura was the drag caused by the roughness or texture of the Kurouchi finish or was it in grind. Which knife was your favorite of the bunch?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:56 pm 

markmunn wrote:Thanks for this Jeff B. Aesthetically, the megumi is a real beauty. Looking forward to hearing more/seeing more reviews on the performance of this knife.
If you think the pictures look good you should see this knife in person! :shock:

Bikeman wrote:Jeff B :Good summary of the knives . In your comments on the Hinoura was the drag caused by the roughness or texture of the Kurouchi finish or was it in grind. Which knife was your favorite of the bunch?
I believe the Kurouchi finish was the biggest cause of the drag but the heavier grind may have exaggerated it some. If you rubbed your fingure along the finish you could feel it drag compared to the very slick finish compared to say the Sukenari.
As far as a favorite knife it's hard to pick one given the differences in the knives and they we're all great knives. If I was told that I could keep just one knife out of the box I would have had a hard choice between the Magumi and Itto Ryu probably keeping the Magumi. That is just initial impressions, with more time with each knife, who knows! :D

I must add that Mark has done an excellent job bringing in new smiths and knives that exude class and tradition. Many of the early knives I saw a few years ago looked like everyday production knives with a few rustics here and there. Mark has a first class lineup now with many traditional handmade knives that shows the excellence and skill needed to make these knives. Kudos to Mark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]