It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Petty for a new knife set
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 am 

Hi,

I am fairly new to the forum here and just building a new japanese knife set. I worked in commercial kitchens for about 5 years, but have left for another career. I moonlight catering special events and parties. My cutlery is a mishmash of cheap though dependable work-horses (mostly forschner/victorinox/fibrox knives, and the odd global knife a relative thought I would like) which I am slowly upgrading.

I plan on purchasing a new 240mm anryu gyuto once they are back in stock. I'm hoping someone can give me advice on what will compliment it in terms of knives. I thought the next logical purchase would be a petty. I am looking for something to bone poultry, pork and beef, and to do small ingredient prep (mincing garlic, etc.).

Answers to Mark's questions:

1. Are you right handed? Yes.
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Probably a petty unless others think I should invest in a honesuki or something, but these seem quite specialized.
3. What size knife are you looking for? 150mm or close to it.
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless/semi-stainless is preferred, but I have taken care of carbon with no problems.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Wa (Japanese)
6. How much did you want to spend? Up to $175
7. Do you know how to sharpen? I am improving on Japanese waterstones.

Thanks so much for any recommendations you can give. This forum is one of the most enthusiastic and fun I have seen in ages.

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject: Re: Petty for a new knife set
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is probably the best deal on CKTG still and a great petty to boot:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara4.html

That said, someone new to hard Japanese carbon might find they easily chip such a knife boning proteins.

This one, albeit out of stock at the moment, better fits your requests:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa151.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark,

If you're going to bone a lot of proteins (somehow that just sounds so wrong :-)), a Hankotsu knife might be in order.

The Richmond Artifex is sturdy and not too expensive: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarhabo16.html. This would leave $$ left over for a good 150 Petty.

I like the Tanaka VG-10 Damascus Petty a lot: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgpe15.html.

The Goko White #1 150 is another nice Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm 

Thank you both, Adam and Steve. Sounds like two knives for these separate tasks is the better way to go - one for boning (I'll say butchery from now on! Thanks Adam. Lol) and a petty for the other prep where chipping is less a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm 

That seems like a good idea, to get two different knives for two different tasks. For on-the-board work like mincing garlic do consider the height of the petty as a major criterion. I believe the usual suggestion is at least 30 mm, with 33 mm or so preferred at least by some. I use a petty of 27.5 mm height on the board in part because of a non-standard handle shape: even my relatively narrow fingers couldn't wrap around a handle without knocking my knuckles on the board at that height.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good points Eric. The two Pettys I recommended have good height to them. The Goko will effectively feel taller, given it's slimmer neck (Emoto), which allow more board clearance. The Tanaka has a wider neck, but damn, the grind is so nice on these, very similar to their Sekiso Damascus series :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm 

Thanks estayton. I was watching the video of the Kono petty that Adam generously recommended and thought it looked mighty shallow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:39 pm 

RE: Teruyasu-Fujiwara too chippy

I would still HIGHLY consider both the gyuto and petty.

Yes, the blade edge CAN be chippy but not necessarily: a consequence of too high hardening of W#1 in my opinion but...
these are super knives! Great great performers. So good I got a third one.

The petty has NO micro-chips but the gyuto does. I think so because the gyuto's edge is longer and more heavily used where with the petty I do not chop and is not heavily used (softer product).

In a conversation with Ben Dale (owner of EdgePro) about chips in blades he said disregard them! They make no difference to cutting performance - and it doesn't appear they do. He said simply sharpen them as usual (unless they are very deep) and simply enjoy the knife. And enjoying them I am - a true joy to use. This prolongs the steel because not as much is lost in trying to remove the chips. Also chipping can be mitigated by slightly increasing the bevel angle - these knives come with a very steep angle as they can hold the edge and exceedingly so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 pm 

Thank you Gladius. I always assumed chips were bad news. I've shaved off a lot of metal before on cheaper blades for the smallest of chips.

Thank you for the fugiwara petty (pugio!) recommendation. I'm leaning that way right now. We're you also recommending the fugiwara gyuto over the Anryu hammered 240?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 pm 

I have both and in my opinion the TF is superior.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next