It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Per Se rated a "C" by NY dept. of health
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:39 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/new-york-restaurant-health-inspection/

We had a somewhat spirited debate on this topic on another board I frequent. I'm curious about what those in the biz and those not feel about it. I'll withhold my thoughts for now. Big deal or could care less?

Post subject: Re: Per Se rated a "C" by NY dept. of health
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm 

I semi don't care. I work in NYC. Here are some examples how department of health will give you points. Points lower your letter grade.

Bartender uses bare hands to garnish drink (lime on side of glass vodka tonic)
Inspector sees foam with flashlight on inside of draft beer faucet
Guy in kitchen has a used rag on counter top
Gas bottles for beer are not secured by chain

I got a warning last year for forks not all facing the same way in the container we use to store clean forks.

I do care when it is rodents. However, many establishments have one or two rodents in basement. It is close to impossible to keep them out especially if the place is close to subway or construction site.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:23 am 

I care precisely zero. NYC health department sucks. Having to fill out a HAACP to have a chamber vac, for example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:51 am 

I inspect lots of restaurants on behalf of their insurance companies. I not only do inspection of the actual restaurant, I also do Workers Compensation loss control as well.
Yes, some of the conditions I read in the article are pure B.S.
Where I draw the line are food safety, and life safety.
I have been doing this for almost 20 years. I have seen it all.
One of the worst violations I ever saw. A pretty high end restaurant to boot, not Michelin rated, but expensive
It was summer, the cooks had one of those portable air conditioners on in the kitchen. These air conditioners are supposed to be vented with the hose out a window. They had the unit in the middle of the kitchen, and decided to put the exhaust vent through a hole in a ceiling tile, with a wood ceiling above that.
I took my flashlight out, and just as I suspected, there was MOLD all over the wood in the ceiling.
I called the insurance company underwriter. They told me to call the board of health, which I did. I reported the condition. The health dept showed up and ordered the restaurant CLOSED until the mold could be remediated.
I hope I saved somebody from not getting sick as a result.
I also wonder at the lack of common sense all the way up to the owners themselves for the unlisted use of the air conditioner.
I also found out later that the insurance company did not renew the restaurants policy.
I could go on and on, hopefully you get the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:30 am 

While most people "in" the business care little for the c rating, many, many people care ALOT and will not got to a restaurant under an A. In a previous life I did restaurant openings and consulting and getting that grade in the first few weeks was life or death. In a highly competitive, high failure industry this grade potentially means a large loss to top line revenue, regardless of how we "feel" the grade is justified.

Fyi, its not the guy in the kitchen using a towel to wipe the counter top, its the guy in the kitchen using a towel not formerly in a sani bucket that is the issue. I have seen plenty of guys pick up a towel they had previously dropped on the floor to wipe the counter top.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 pm 

Dinoadventures, phillysco, and kalaeb all valid points and I agree.  Ultimately, I personally believe its the implementation of the system.   I think and hope many agree, we want to all eat safe food and do it in a clean environment.   No one likes getting sick. However, it feels like the health dept is out to get you some might even say make money. Absolutely put a stop to things that get people sick. But the other stuff give a place a chance to fix the problem before giving them points.   Maybe a written warning on the small stuff. And if you get a violation on the same item on re-inspection then give points.  All the current system does is create stress and "trickery"  I have customers who hire extra cleaning staff around the time they believe they will be inspected. Full time job, every morning for 2 hours inspect every dark corner of establishment with flashlight and the cleaning person gets fired after inspection.   Or places that don't do things right but once the inspector arrives everything stops (food production etc) and they clean like crazy. Or owner/managers do fake inspections around expected DOH visit month and make employees fix issues. However, the other 10 months of the year cleanliness is not that important. 

Let me say, I don't know the answer all I know is we could do better. Plus as another person said, the customer does not understand the industry all they know is that the place got a bad grade.  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:17 pm 

+1 to manager/owners freaking out during inspection time. We have one coming up next week when we won't even be open to the public and the owner is losing his mind asking me about what is going to happen. I have brought issues to him for 6 months, only now does he care; all the problems have piled up on him for Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:43 pm 

Dan_Crubenew wrote:+1 to manager/owners freaking out during inspection time. We have one coming up next week when we won't even be open to the public and the owner is losing his mind asking me about what is going to happen. I have brought issues to him for 6 months, only now does he care; all the problems have piled up on him for Tuesday.

Which points to the obvious solutions, inspections need to be more frequent.

Unfortunately, some people only respond to threats.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:19 pm 

Dan_C and dougmc have stated a big problem.
There are 2 basic management styles Proactive and Reactive.
The Proactive restaurant owner-manager has staff cleaning daily, and makes sure all staff are aware of proper food storage and sanitation procedures.
The refrigeration is on an annual service contract with scheduled service visits.
The exhaust system is steam cleaned at least twice a year. The hood filters are cleaned weekly.
Grease is basically a fire hazard, and cockroach candy, so you have to keep the hazard controlled.
The owner inspects the front and back of the house daily, or at least has the general mgr. do the front of the house, and the head chef the kitchen.
Sounds like Dan_Crubenew's owner is a Reactive type. Now he has to scramble in response to the threat of the inspection.
I can usually tell after 5 minutes in the kitchen, and a quick buzz through the dining room, bar area what kind of owner there is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Patrons of Thomas Keller are not foolish enough to believe that his establishments will get them sick. That's laughable.

I'm a neat freak; always have been. When I was a line cook, my station & myself were always clean. As a Chef, my kitchens have always been kept clean. My kitchens are sanitary... period.

THAT SAID. The pussification of America disgusts me. Everyone living in a bubble with helmet & pads. When food hits the floor, I don't serve it because I don't make decisions for others, but I sure as hell EAT IT. I never get sick from food. Why? Because my immune system gets practice.

My mind has a rolodex of stand-up running 24/7. All I can say to this is:

(explicit lyrics - R rating):

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next