It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Per Se rated a "C" by NY dept. of health
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm 

emalsky wrote:Been working in NYC at michelin starred restaurants for about 5 years. some points
NYC is by FAR the strictest dept. in the country. I am an honest person and I can say I have only come across 1 dept. official that was friendly.
Restaurants stall the guys before they even come CLOSE to the kitchen. Im guessing Per Se is very good at this. This gives the kitchen time to dump out spoon bains (can't have) ditch side towels (can't have) throw out all food not cooled properly ( or throw it in an oven) etc.
I know people who work at Per Se and i can't imagine how they would be docked that many points… the place is just that clean, professional and the cooks are that good.

It makes me think that something happened with their HAACP.. maybe they could find proper documentation for the 6,000,000 things they cook sous vide on a daily basis.
OR the kitchen is so big, and has so many low boys and refrigerators, that they found one that was running high or did not have a thermometer in it.

That being said, i don't care if they serve shit on a plate, you won't get a night when that dining room isn't full.

+1

Thanks for sharing your sentiments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:04 am 

I think it's safe to say that food safety is highly static in the restaurant industry. When things get hectic nobody follows the regulations 100 percent. I am lucky our health inspector is nice...She says...put some soap in there, fix the sink, I'll be back and were done.

I think it's government gone too far to place letter grades on eating establishments. It should either be a pass fail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:16 am 

Yeah, letter grades don't really say anything relevant. As someone said above, you can't tell if a bad grade is due to paperwork bullshit or a rodent infestation. I'd make it Pass (with minor fix-it tickets) Conditional Pass (major fix-it tickets) Fail (actual danger to public health). It seems to work for QC departments and internal safety inspections for industry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm 

Umberto wrote:I think it's safe to say that food safety is highly static in the restaurant industry. When things get hectic nobody follows the regulations 100 percent. I am lucky our health inspector is nice...She says...put some soap in there, fix the sink, I'll be back and were done.

I think it's government gone too far to place letter grades on eating establishments. It should either be a pass fail.

Well said. It should be a pass or fail. I don't think a letter grade proves anything. On any given day the cleanest restaurant could accidentally make someone ill and the filthiest restaurant can serve 100 people and no-one so much as gets a bubble in their stomach. A letter grade for sanitation and safety proves nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 pm 

As "industry insiders" do you feel that the public display of the status (regardless of whether it is A/B/C... or pass/fail) is beneficial.

why?

Informed Consumer (Let market forces straighten it out)?
Public Humiliation (Let Hubris straighten it out)?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 pm 

I feel that informing the public about the stuff they consume is always good, in principle. I do have a problem with the way those grades are awarded, however.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:29 pm 

There isn't consistency in how things are graded.
Some health inspectors are great, some are not so great.

Sadly that's just how it rolls :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

DARKSTAR <> I think it's absolute nonsense. If an establishment is deemed safe enough to serve food, then allow them to serve food. If an establishment is deemed unsafe to serve food, then do not allow them to serve food.

What... if I read a "D", I should think that the health department thinks there is a high chance of my getting sick upon eating there, but if I read a "C", well then maybe my chances are slightly better.?! NONSENSE.

If enough violations are being employed that would deem an eatery unsafe... lock the doors until it has been corrected through repair, education, sterilization, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:32 pm 

Darkstar; of course it's a horrible system. it's like trying to be a little bit black, or a little bit white. I agree, with Mel. How can they say one place is a little safe, but this place is a little bit safer. It should be either all or none. People can actually be killed. There should not be a grey area.

It comes down to cooks and chefs being responsible. I bet if any of you have gotten food poisoning it was not because of a spoon bane or dusty top self or one of the 1000 things restaurant can get in trouble for. It most likely comes down to one cook or chef making one decision that gets people sick. Such as not throwing out something old or not switching cutting boards, ect. From my experiences cooks and chefs take this stuff serious. I know cooks that will tell the dirtiest jokes, cuss in every sentence and every other crude, rude thing you can thing of is part of their lifestyle, but if you even think about not washing out a sink that had chicken thawing in it, or not tossing a towel you used while cutting up chicken, they will get on you. Being unsafe is a kitchen is totally not cool, and all cooks I have met have that attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm 

I'm kinda torn on this issue. As a consumer I'd like to be able to make an informed choice about the places I spend my money. But it would require very uniform and fair behavior from the BOH. (Not likely going to happen from any government entity).

How do other cities manage this issue? The type of offenses seen at Per Se would you just got a written warning and have to have it resolved by the next time they come by? Are the issues restaurants are getting written up for actually causing health issues?

I have to wonder if improving the quality of the inspectors and offenses would be preferable?

Page 3 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next