It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pepin Debone Chicken Galantine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 am 

I've got to try this!

Post subject: Re: Pepin Debone Chicken Galantine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:00 am 

you should try it jeff, not as hard as it looks and this is a great video to get you started. its actually the vid I used to refresh myself as I hadent boned out a bird for a couple years and came across this video, pepins directions are clear and consice. a real pionner of the food industry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the video, I can't wait to try this. He makes it look so easy. I'm guessing the first few times won't go this smooth :). Who am I kidding, after seeing Mel's picture of the turbot I'm ready to try anything :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 pm 

Thanks for the vid. I have not seen it done this way before.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:14 pm 

By far the best method to debone a chicken. He doesn't emphasis the importance of finding a chicken with enough skin to cover the neck. When you go to stuff the bird and truss it, the skin is the only thing that will keep things like cheeses from leaking out the end. The only thing I do differently is I dont leave in the nubs of the leg bones. When you crack the nub you may get a sharp end of the bone that can puncture your skin when you go to truss the bird, and once the skin is torn, its darn near impossible to fix. I just turn the leg inside-out with my finger and pull out the nub, then use my finger and tuck it back in.

Mushroom, spinach, shallot, bread crumbs and a sharp cheddar are my go to stuffing items for chicken, with a white wine veloute using the trim scraps from the bird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:04 pm 

Pesto, roasted pepper and prosciutto stuffing was pretty good. I didn't take pics of the sauce (deglazed pan drippings, rich chix stock, wine, shallots and garlic)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 pm 

Deboning a duck is different than chicken. Longer, stronger and tougher joints and bones, far less meat and all around trickier for a novice like me. It turned out great, though.

I modified this pate a good bit for the stuffing. Per the wife's request, no bacon, and added cherries soaked in cherry heering along with the pistachio nuts.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Duck-Pate

Also modified this blackberry sauce. Used beef and chix stock instead of canned broth so I had to put in more fruit and other sweeteners. Needed a lot of roux to thicken it but the layers of sweet fruit and savory stock were rich and complex. Surprisingly nice:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...rry-Sauce-1265

1996 La Jota 15th Anniversary Release Cab is still showing nicely integrated tannins and acidity that stood up well to the duck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:36 pm 

Show Off!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:22 am 

I did one stuffed with sauteed spinach, leeks and mushrooms this weekend. :) Copious amounts of salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Was pretty good but my twine stuck to the skin really bad. Could have been from doing it the night before and roasting it the next morning. Or because It was slightly overcooked because I fell asleep with it in the oven and fell apart when I sliced it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 am 

What a great technique. Will have to try this. thanks

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next