It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: One question before clicking buy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:47 pm 

Buying a  Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm Gyuto tomorrow. 

One thing is bugging me.  I am planning only to buy one Gyuto and don't want to get the bug and end up buying another one in 9 months because I was being cheap.

So my question is...  If I added another $75 to my budget would I get something significantly better?  (  Kohetsu AS 210 vs a $250 /$275 Gyuto)

Right handed, home use, can sharpen, 210 Gyuto, stainless or clad stainless only.  Edge retention and sharpness important. 

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: One question before clicking buy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:39 pm 

I can't speak to the kohetsu personally, as I haven't handled it before, but AS is a fantastic steel. It can hold a steep edge for a good long while. Your most likely to get the bug from the knives around here being more amazing than you thought rather than because they're cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Kohetsu is for all rights a "laser" gyuto. It's very thin.

It's a fantastic laser too. F&F is quite nice, handle is nice, profile is nice, etc. I wouldn't long for another knife as far as cutting ability, sharpness and edge retention go necessarily. I would long for another knife, but this is my hobby. The Kohetsu cuts very, very well....has a great HT'd AS core, and is generally a fantastic knife.

No sub $300 knife does a significantly better job at those three things.

Now, if you don't want a laser, that all changes.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm 

I was asking myself the same question about 2 weeks ago with respect to this knife and having the same considerations of importance you mentioned. I think the answer though becomes personal and depends on your intended use, knife skills and love/skill of sharpening.

I could afford a $500 knife but bought the Kohetsu. I don't regret it. Because I didn't care that much about how pretty the knife looked or weather it was hand hammered. As a home cook, I wanted a light weight knife that had great cutting ability, low maintenance and held an edge with the best knives. To date, that's what I got. I can cut so thin OOB that I can see through apples, carrots, etc., with great ease. I am not trying to be Zen, but that is the essence of a knife.

That said, just taking one small step up in price will get a prettier knife- Katsushige Anryu, a more light middle weight knife- Richmond Laser, a semi SS with a traditional handle- TKC. On and on to knives that are even more expensive and have more refined differences.

The Kohetsu is not the prettiest or absolutely best made knife on the wesite, but for a home cook that just wants light, high quality steel that holds an edge, ultra sharp, easy to sharpen and maintain, this knife is hard to beat at any price. So my recommendation is make a detailed list of what you really want in a knife and if it's more than what I just mentioned with respect to the Kohetsu, I'd spend the extra money. And if you still have lingering doubts, I'd spend the extra money anyway because those doubts probably won't go away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 pm 

It doesn't matter if you buy a Kohetsu or a $500 knife, you already have the bug! I know because your here! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:55 pm 

Good advice there from Scott. Jeff is probably correct also. I think all of us have said at one time, "I'm only buying one gyuto." Most likely to our spouse :) you'll find there are some great people down here in the rabbit hole lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:58 pm 

Kohetsu is a quality knive. Some others may have those little touches of character, hand hammered, better handle, etc, but I think for getting the job done, more money does not get you much further.

My favorite two knives right now are the Anryu Hammered and the Goko, one is more expensive, the other less, than the Kohetsu performance is not what differentiates them to me...it something else. If you buy another knife in 9 months, it will not be because the Kohetsu is not cutting the mustard, pun intended ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:59 pm 

Although its not in stock, for another $50 you could get a Konosuke. Not a better performing knife per say, but if you stay on this forum, eventually youll want one, so you may as well scratch that itch early on :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

My AS Laser has a little bit nicer grinds and a nicer handle for not much more money. I should have them back in stock soon.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:49 pm 

One new element if you don't mind. If you're looking for edge retention, consider a larger gyuto instead of a 210mm. The contact area with the board is really small, and will need more frequent touch-ups than a 240 or 270.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next