It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubtama Stones I ordered what ya'll think?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm 

On a tighter budget than I would have liked...So I opted for a 1k and 5k stone for keeping my knives in tune. In the future I'd like more powerful tools for bevel setting and tip repairs. Until then I'll be fine tuning the edges of my Shun Classic 3 pieces set as well as my beloved Kohetsu...

I decided on the Bamboo Gold 1k...I wanted something bigger and thicker than competing 1k stones. Also it was suggested that the stone is slightly harder than the Ume 1k. It was also said that the Nubatama Bamboo 5k is a fairly hard stone.

I think hardness is a good feature for an amateur like me. I've done some stupid stropping motions and chipped some soft stones...Hopefully not gonna happen again...

I'm really excited to use the 1k and 5k combo. My next purchase will be an Atoma 140 for lapping and rapid cutting. I don't have a stone holder yet. I'll just use a piece of leather on a work bench for now. I'm working on constructing a portable sharpening station.

Can't wait to see a 5k on my old forgecraft :)

Post subject: Re: Nubtama Stones I ordered what ya'll think?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm 

Those will do the trick. You are going to get tired of working so long on the 1K to get your bevel where you want it. Be patient and use consistent pressure. Not heavy pressure. A light touch is best. Elbow at the same height as the wrist.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 pm 

The bamboo gold is a nice stone, has the feel of a basic red brick 1k but cuts hard steels with ease. I would have probably gone with the new 1k blue brick. $2 more and twice the stone.

The 5k bamboo is a nice stone but kinda slow to sharpen. It acts like a finer stone but applies a very nice cutting edge. I would not consider this a hard stone, it has the "hardness" of a Arashiyama or king ice bear stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

We'll only time will tell...but I'm sure I'll get some nice edges. After these I'll probably get some natural stones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 am 

Yep, you will have some nice edges just giving my observation over the past year and some extensive use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 am 
Forum Moderator

UMBERTO <> The 5k will put a beautiful polish on your Forgecraft, but at Hrc59 I don't know how acute I'd go on the edge.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]