It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Nubatamas....the hype......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok, being an avid sharpener & always on the lookout for increased performance stones, the Nubatamas caught my attention with their launch.

Right from the outset I was terribly confused with the enormous amount of very small grit increments (they keep coming relentlessly) as well as some of the pricing.

So many variations leads to confusion & doubt.

Obviously marketed by the dealer, explanations, motivational videos & retorts are fast, forthcoming & smoothed with sales talk depicting Shaptons & Choseras as "close second & third best"......?????

Having read most of the posts relating this matter, I have recorded some conflicting advice of the same stone......

Is there someone out there that has actually worked through the various stone brands that can honestly supply an unbiased review, comparable with pictures (to the existing fraternity of stones), for us uninformed contemplating to purchase, we need to make informed decisions, and opinions from the dealer does not really cut it?

Please understand that I am not knocking this product, all I am saying, is that it is now being marketed as "the berries", where previously different tunes were sung - are they really that good??

Furthermore, the issue of origin has been purported as "proprietary"......hellooo, Shapton is Shapton & Chosera is Chosera.......do the Google search thingy......tooooooo little original information available for Nubatama....????

I need some serious, honest advice here from a reputable user which has run the mill.....how else does one measure the milestone.....??

Just being inquisitive - don't get me wrong please.

I anxiously await some substantiated comment here......

PS: NO sales pitch please!

:)

Post subject: Re: Nubatamas....the hype......
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've only ever used the 1k Ume, and the Bamboo 150.

The Bamboo 150 is a good stone. It doesn't cut as well as the 150 would make me think, but it does cut fast enough for anything I'd use a waterstone for and dishes slowly. Overall, a good stone.

The 1k Ume, though, is an amazing stone I love very much. I've tried (insert 20 different 1k stone brands/series/etc.) and it's my all time favorite.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

Hi MadRookie,

I just got a Bamboo 150 and 400.

Prior to the 150, I had been using a 140 DMT plate - Latte 400 when thinning knives.

This afternoon I took a 240 Gyuto and thinned the entire blade with the progression of a DMT140 to a Bamboo 150 to a Latte 400 on one side of the blade and the Bamboo 400 on the other.

Inserting the Bamboo 150 between the DMT 140 and the 400 stones about halved the time it took for the 400 to clean up the previous stones scratch marks. I also did not have any problems with the 140 scratches showing through when I got to the 1.2K stone which had been plaguing me prior on prior thinning sessions without the 150.

I dont know how fast the 150 is compared to any other 150s as I don't have any.
The 150 did not need any flattening after the session.
The 150 took about 30 minutes to soak on the first use. Felt long.
It's a hard stone, not much mud, but felt great compared to the diamond plate.
Will try thinning minus the diamond plate next.

Bamboo 400 vs Latte 400.
I used the Bamboo 400 on one side of the blade and the Latte 400 on the other following the Bamboo 150 to make a comparison.

The Bamboo was smoother feeling on the blade and produced less mud. The Latte always felt a little gritty, even with mud.
The Bamboo cut a little faster.
The scratch was a little finer on the Bamboo side of the blade.
After cleaning up the scratch from the 150, the Bamboo 400 did not need flattening. The Latte 400 did.
I followed up the 400's with a Bestor 1.2K. It took about the same amount of time to clean up the Bamboo side of the blade as it did the Latte.

Overall I liked the two stones enough that i'II definitely look closely at NB when I need another stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 am 

My experience is also with the 150 and 100 Ume Plumb. The 150 worked well but did not make me go WOW. Not knocking it, it did it's job just fine . . . however the 1,000 Ume . . . WOW what a stone!!! All others in this range are drying out from lack of use.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 am 

Adam, BadBoy --> Are you all talking the 1K Ume Medium?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 am 

I still like the results from Shaptons and appreciate they're spash and go. I like the feed back on the Nubatamas in general, more than the Shaptons, but not all. I can't say from my efforts that the results on the Nubatamas are worlds apart from the Shaptons on the carbon and pm stainess knives I've sharpened, but the experience is different. I consider myself a pretty good sharpener but I don't believe I have your attention to detail. Perhaps the average guy might not appreciate the differences. A guy like you might. I'd be happy to let you try some of mine out for a month or 2 MR. Least I can do after all the advice you've shared. I have a 150, 400,1000, 2000 (this one is the Ume, not the $$$ Bamboo)5000 and 10,000. I've only used the 10k on a handful of knives. I generally stop between 5k and 8k on most knives. I can have them in the mail by Wednesday if your interested . Let me know. Any more hail or snow this year? Best regards, Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Thank you for your replies people.

Mike, thank you for a hard to refuse offer - but hang in there - let me do some more research first.

Great thank you all.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 am 

Let me know, it would be my pleasure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 am 
Forum Moderator

......see post #5.......

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st12317336

:? :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am 

Sorry missed a 0, yes the 1k Ume Medium . . .

Page 1 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next