It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nubatama Ume 320 or Latte 400
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 pm 

Disclaimer: I really, really love the Nuba 220 black :D The pink is slightly more aggressive but the black loves me back with its' feedback.

Having said that I find that I have to use either the 150 Nubatama or the 220 to clear up the Atoma's 140 scratches. The 150 works faster but the 220 is still efficient and get me up a grit sooner. I don't own and have never used the 320 so no help there.
As an EP user, I clear up the diamond scratches with the 220 then finish with lighter and lighter strokes
until it appears that it has been finished on a 400-600. So , for me, the 220 (either one will do) cuts quickly letting you see your progress soon and with lighter strokes gets you to your 1K.
All the Nuba's are slow to dish if you let the stone do the work by using only moderate pressure. Heck!, if one uses enough pressure one could dish anything.

Good Luck on your journey

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:48 pm 

Oopps.
Didn't see your post about using your Atoma to flatten, not sharpen & repair.
I still recommend the Nubatama 220s

Douglas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:43 am 

The 220 black and 220 pink are very different, the pink 220 should be used with caution on anything but clad single bevels. It has a tendency to wash out the shoulder of smaller bevels due to its sandy type of mud. The black stones produce a more silky mud and wear a little slower also working much better on standard bevels and lagging a bit in comparison to the pink stone on single bevels.

I have not used the Ume 320 but have used the Ume 220. These stones seem similar from the videos so here's my impression of the Ume 220.

The Ume 220 has a very strong binder and dishes much slower than the pink or black stones. The grinding action is slower to start because of the stronger binder but picks up once you work the stone a bit with some pressure. It was as hard as a Shapton pro but didn't make hardly as much mud, it's the one thing I really don't like about the Pro 320. All this talk has me thinking of picking up one of these green Ume stones myself, my black 180 is down to its last few mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm 

Thanks for all your comments, particularly about stones that had not been on my initial list--such as the chosera and the Shapton in the grit range I need.

Such a journey!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:32 am 

hi Belle.

here is the review i did on the chosera 400. it is short but to the point!

chosera-400-t6721.html

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:07 am 

Thanks Pat--great information.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:48 am 

I got some time to play with the Bamboo 400 when it arrived yesterday and I do like it in some ways, though probably not for your needs. It built up a nice mud exceptionally quickly, so much so that I had to thin out the mud often even after soaking. A sink bridge would have been helpful. It cut fairly slowly, but the edge it produced is by far the most refined low grit edge I've ever made, push cutting paper cleanly. For repair work, though, I would look elsewhere (probably the Shapton Pro).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:06 pm 

Thank you, Lepus. Given your overall favorable report on the Bamboo 400, why wold you look to the Shapton Pro instead?

BTW, my repair needs will be minimal--a few very tiny chips on a Global and some serious bevel work on very old, far-too-dull European knives.

I'll go read up on the Shapton...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:55 pm 

The Shapton should be faster and would fit better into most sequences. This is an assumption as I've only used the stone once, and Ken in particular can jump in here, but I think the 400 Bamboo's level of finish would lead into natural stones well. It would certainly contribute to that perfect mirror sheen you see on some knives. The other Nubatama stones, as mentioned above, would also be worth looking into, but with the Shapton Pro you know you're getting a fantastic stone that fits into your sequence well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 pm 

Thank you Lepus. I have a few weeks to decide, but I like your thoughts about a stone fitting into the progression. I now have a couple of excellent top contenders--and you have my thanks for the Shapton comments. Perhaps Ken will jump in...

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next