It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nubatama Ume 320 or Latte 400
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:45 am 

"There is a black AND a pink Nubatama Bamboo 220."

Sorry oversight on my part. I have the black 220 Bamboo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:52 am 

I guess my question would be if LaVieestBelle only needs to use the 140 diamond for her ancient knives and not the new fine knives is it worth the cost of a new stone to bridge the gap or is it acceptable to just use what is on hand knowing it will not be the 100% optimal edge possible? Sure the edge will be really tooth but you probably want it on those ancient knives. Unless they are also ancient and fine. My assumption I guess could be wrong in taking the use of ancient to be perhaps also meaning not of high quality.

Then you can focus on a proper progression of stones for your fine knives which you probably wont need to take to the 140 Atoma just your lowest grit waterstone. Which would probably be in your 300-500 grit range. That way your not worrying about getting out diamond scratch patterns and could just use the atoma to flatten.

Then you would have your 300-500 waterstone, the 1k you got and I'm not sure what your finishing stone is or if you have a strop.

Now if your ancient knives are ancient and high quality forget everything I just said and do what Ken said.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:20 am 

My thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far.

First, I did not know that the need for quality in a low grit stone was particularly important--not an area to scrimp.

My ancient knives are not bad ones--just a bit neglected and not upper end JKs. They include a few Shuns (Classic and Cronidur), a Global boning knife with a few tiny chips, a couple of Deglon knives (French from Thiers) I picked up a few decades ago in France, and a Lamson.

It was my intent to use the Atoma only for lapping purposes. My thought was to add one low-grit stone to the lineup I have just assembled through CKTG and use it for repairs and bevel establishing. I had debated between a reasonably priced stone set and going the individual stone route. I may have overspent a little, but I kept seeing posts from members who said they wished they had started with better stones.

So far I have a Shapton Glass 1k, a Nubatama Ume 2km and a Suehiro Rika 5k, along with the Richmond stropping kit.

I think, if I add one more, it should be around the 300 or 400 range, given what I own. I put together the stone collection with an eye towards my CKTG JKs, but I will be starting to practice on my earlier knives. I was particularly interested in repairing the Global flexible boning knives and in having a go at the long-neglected Deglons.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have and still enjoy a Beston 500. I also have the 400 Latte which I enjoy more. The Latte does seem to dish faster than the Beston....but I like the feel and speed of the Latte more and it's really the only coarse stone I use any more.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:07 pm 

Thank you. I would have bought the Latte when I first joined the forum, based on reviews and comments here. Sadly it has been out of stock for months. Your comments about the Latte will help if it comes back into stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:23 pm 

Just heard from CKTG that the Lattes may not return. So at this point I would simply like thoughts on the Nubatama or other similar choices.

Thanks! The news may make decisions a little easier, but I would still like to hear ideas, particularly given the knives I have.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:48 pm 

Currently, if the need arises, I'm going Atoma 140 to Bamboo 150 to Naniwa 150 to Shapton 320 or Imanishi 400 (probably better suited for a single bevel edge) or straight from the Naniwa to a 1Kish stone. Then on to whatever depending on the knife and its use. Its really more about technique than the stones used IMHO. But superior stones help. Its always a tough decision as opinions differ. It may boil down to do you prefer a softer muddier stone or a cleaner splash and go therefore harder stone. On the cleaner side you have the Shapton GS, Naniwa SS and Chosera in the 300-500 range. Likely the others in that range will be a muddier stone. I can say that I've never been disappointed with any Nubatama product. They just fit my style and what I look for in a water stone. But my preferences are different than other folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:56 pm 

The chosera 400 is a nice stone.

pat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

I have a Shapton Pro 320, hard stone that cuts fast and doesn't dish as fast as many lower grit stones.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:30 pm 

I have the chosera 400. I was strongly considering the Ume 320, but I found a great deal on a used chosera 400 so I jumped on it.

I have a few milimeters of the latte left as well. The latte wore very quickly for me, too quickly, but performed how I wanted it to. Fast, consistent, great feedback.

The chosera has worn very slowly, but I don't find that it cuts as fast as the latte did. I will say that with the current price, I would experiment with others before considering buying it again.

If you choose the 320 ume report back. I started a thread desperately looking for user experiences with it, but got very little response outside of Ken who is the distributor of Nubatamas. (Not a knock on Ken at all, I trust him, he did great by me with some natural stones, I was just looking for some additional input).

If that used chosera had not surfaced I almost certainly would have gotten the ume 320.

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next