It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Noob lefty looking for advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm 

Hi everyone! New to site and after MANY hours of videos and forums i really like the Tanaka Damascus Gyuto 240mm. However i have some concerns about the handle. I have a D handle 'junk' boning knife that I use occasionally but would like to know how uncomfortable using a D handle on a bigger blade might be? Also, any recommendations for a better lefty knife (preferably damascus/50-50 grind/same price range/carbon)? Thanks in advance!

Chris

Post subject: Re: Noob lefty looking for advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 am 

Ok, more info... Home cook (passionately) and new to Japanese knives in general. Just learning hand sharpening as well. I am new to this site (and checked a ton of them) but am continually drawn back to this one due to the level of knowledge of the members, Mark's personal involvement in the boards, etc. I was just drooling over the Rodrigue knives i've seen here and OH WOW, Pierre himself posts on here! Any help/advice would be appreciated!

p.s. I am also continually drawn to the Richmond Artifex based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews :) Will defintely be my 'next' knife :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 am 
Forum Moderator

I would ask Mark if he can swap out the handle on the Tanaka for an oval handle. Some lefty's don't find that right handed D shape handles bother them, so maybe try it and see? If you have files and sandpaper, you should be able to knock down much of the D and turn it into an oval. If that doesn't work, come down to CT where I am and I can do it on my belt sander, or do a whole new handle for it. I have the same Tanaka 240mm and love it; out cuts almost everything else in my stash!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 am 

Thank you SO much! That was the final 'arm twist' I needed. I really have been fixated on it. I'll definitely see what Mark can do and I really appreciate the offer of help. Again, this is why I keep coming back to this site/forum. Great community!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Heck, if you want, come down and check mine out so you can see if the handle needs to be changed out or not. I am guessing by your screen name that you fish as well? I do some Offshore fishing when I get a chance in the Summer :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 am 

As much as I do enjoy fishing, the nickname is actually due to a massive scar on my leg that looks like a sharkbite. Unfortunately, the real story isn't nearly as cool. Hit by a car while riding a bike and had the pedal go through my leg as a kid. I don't have any time this week (working midnight-noon today, taking son snowboarding thurs, nor'easter fri into sat, back to work sun night) and as impulsive as i am, i'm sure i'll own the knife by then :lol: Thanks for the invite and we'll definitely have to do something sometime. I really appreciate the help and I am sure i'll have more questions soon especially regarding sharpening (super noob in that dept, but man do I enjoy it!)

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ouch, that sounds like it hurts with the pedals!!! I work 3rd shift as well, so I know the feeling of timing things! I am supposed to have Fri and Sat nights off, but may get called in to work :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

I'm a lefty, and I have zero difficulty using a regular right-handed d-handle. I could just as easily make a case that it actually works better left-handed, since my thumb usually falls comfortably right on the ridge. I'd try first, and then pursue taz's kind offer if necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

I did a lefty D shaped handle and it felt OK in my hand, but it was too small for my hand as are most Wa handles. Depending on where the ridge is in your hand, they can work out pretty well for lefties!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 pm 

My 240 Tanaka has a D handle. D hanldes on a larger knife seems awkward to me. A smaller knife is a little better for D shape. I plan to fit an octagonal handle on it. I have smaller hands and yet I still don't like the D handle on gyutos

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next