It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Next knife after my Global G2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:50 pm 

NorCalLineCook77 wrote:I find that the AS steel on this blade gets a dark almost black patina. I do love a nice rich patina with lots of character, but that is not what the patina looks like on this blade, the way I use it. Also, it has become like a habit for me, such that it signifies I'm finished for the day.

I can understand that for sure. As a person of habit and "ritual" I can definitely appreciate the end-of-day sentiment as well. But, I do think a dark/black patina on a stainless clad blade would look pretty killer myself. lol ;)

As to why it gets so dark, I dunno. I am guessing it is a mix between what you cut, how much of it you cut, and steel's reaction to it. For all I know that could just be something Aogami Super does, but from my own knives I have seen the same steel behave differently between two maker's knives so I don't think it is just that. The white #1 core in my Goko pretty much refuses to react to much unless I purposely try to get it to while the White #1 in my Yamashins needs to be wiped if I am setting it down for a minute or two or they will stain the next few cuts. The Yamashins also get an obvious patina much faster than my Goko white #1, so yeah, I don't think it is just the steel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:09 pm 

That is interesting to learn about. The thing I find so beautiful about the japanese culture in general is the deep appreciation for subtlety. Steel is an amazing material that I am starting to respect more and more. Its like an artisan loaf of bread made by hand with love.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm 

Aaron you are going to love those two knives. That Kono is going to blow your draws off! That Anyru is no slouch either.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3