It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 9 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New site is done
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:36 pm 

I know having some sort options was discussed a while back. Is that going to be a feature?

So far, I like what I see. Having consistent information, as well as consistent pics will be helpful. While pics with the knife presented diagonally have a visual appeal, a square approach will make comparison much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 pm 

+1 with Dark Star.
Bigger pictures

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:16 pm 

The new site has a much more professional look.

On some of the pages, you and Sue are listed as "out of stock". Here's an example - http://www.ysw-store2.com/80mmpettys.html

The forum is also listed as out of stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:56 am 

I'll take the Masakage Yuki Bunka 170mm for $40.95.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:54 am 

I've spent a couple hours on the site putting it through its paces. Here are some of the bugs, odd things, Ui problems, and some improvements I noticed. Warning this will probably be lengthy.

1. The resources link just takes you to "knife types"
2. The blog button goes nowhere
3. Looks like Returns, Shipping, and Contact Us only has dummy text listed and no real information/text
4. I would probably rework the header it appears to busy and sometimes at odds with your menu bar. I suggest Only having your logo, cart, and search above the menu bar
a. Move Home to the main menu or get rid of it entirely since your logo acts as the home feature.
b. Then move shipping, blog, questions about us, returns, to be sub menus under your "Resources" menu item.
c. So you would have the logo on the left, the middle search bar and free shipping info stays, and you line the cart up with those items. You save some space and everything looks more organized and streamlined from left to right in a straight line.
5. The shopping cart still looks like it goes to your old design.
6. "Shop By Steel" doesn't actually list any steel types.
7. "Suppliers" seems to be a confusing menu option. I would estimate most people would think first think suppliers are the brand names of your products. But it is and it isn't. Plus the videos and tutorials are listed under that.
a. So I would say eliminate "Suppliers" and perhaps replace it with say Acessories by Brand" so it would list all of the brands for everything you sell besides the knifes.
b. Move videos and tutorials to resources.
8. Personally I would make "new arrivals", "resources", and "forum" exactly like the rest of the menu bar. Same font, dame function, same mouseover etc. The reason being:
a. Your menu bar has 3 different colors, and 2 different mouse over features and "resources", and "forum" do not have a mouseover function. So it kind of breaks your really clean and efficient menu design.
9. "Questions? CKTG Forum!" and "About Us" basically appear as an inventory item on every page. No longer needed with your nice header and menubar. I would remove them.
10. Under "Knife Types" it lists all the steel types which is what "Shop by Steel" function is. So I would move all the mentions of steel from Knife Types to Shop By Steel.
11. Individual Product Pages
a. The product page design currently seems out of sync with the overall site design because of the way that information is presented.
b. I would consider actually have some kind of sub menu right under the products pictures. Description, Videos, Pictures, and Reviews. That way you can click each topic on to bring up the relevant information that you need instead of just having all of the information listed straight down the page like a never ending paper scroll.
12. Since you have facebook, blog, and pininterest listed I would probably create a CKTG twitter account that was seperate than your personal Mark account and list that too.
a. Probably change the text "Follow Us!" with the universal pinterest icon; just like oyu have the facebook icon and the blogger icon.
13. The Product Review System
a. I would consider having to enforce account creation to actually post a review. Then this account would be the users master CKTG account. For buying, reviewing, and using the forum. 1 account would help tie everything together and most people are use to having to do on sites like Imdb and Amazon already.
14. "knife Types" sub menu Wa Gyutos it doesn't appear that ever Wa-Gyutos is actually listed under the topic.
a. Suggestion you make 2 new topics under "knife Types" western handle and japanes (Wa) handles. It would probably help first time visitors and 1st time buyers of J-knives.

--This one might be hard to explain not being in person showing it you--

15. Even though you have a "shop all" feature as a sub feature of your toolbar sometimes lists all of the items straight and sometimes it still categorizes them by manufacturer.
a. There is also a "Shop All [product name]" feature on the left hand side menu but again just brings you back to as listing by category. So if you click on Anryu Knives. The left hand side option will be ""Shop All Anryu Knives" and when you click it; It brings you to the categories of Anryu Hammered Blue #2 and Anryu Kurouchi Damascus White #2 instead of just listing all of knives he makes regardless of product/sub product category
b. This is the opposite that happens when you click on "Bread Knives" then it just lists all of the breads knifes sold on the site.

--What I think would be good is when you click on the left menu option "Shop All xxx" that it just lists all of those items offered straight down without having to go through additional categories. Like in the Anryu example.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:11 am 

Has a much richer feel, visually much more dynamic.

Two questions--first, I love the Amazon option of "buy later." I can sort my cart lists into the immediate purchases and the long-term wish lists. Helps greatly with a forgetful brain like mine.

Also, there are some items that show up as available on the regular site and as sold out on the new one. Is this an error, or is the new site miles ahead of the ole on in figuring out inventory?

Overall, a great pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:38 am 

i like the new site. it looks more professional.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:48 am 

One addition which would be amazing is when the site notes a product is out of stock it would be great to know a status of future orders. I realize exact delivery dates for most knives are like knowing the exact lottery numbers before they happen but you can note the product has been ordered for future inventory, has not been ordered for inventory, is not expected to be ordered at this time, rough delivery date if known or TBD if unknown, etc.. Of course you might have a general disclaimer noting the dates, if applicable, are estimates only and not to be considered a guarantee.

You already have an email request link when an item is out of stock and the customer wishes to be notified when it is in stock, but I suppose, for your own knowledge, have a checked box list of how interested in purchasing a given item a customer is. Boxes such as will definitely purchase when product is in stock, Am looking to purchase immediately, am willing to wait and how long they are willing to wait, just checking, want to use the information for comparisons only, etc. This could be as comprehensive or simple as you choose depending how much you feel the information gathered would be relevant for your own ordering information. Heck, you can even have a line item on this forum asking for requests to order given items you are not sure of or how many of any one item you should order.

Just a thought.

Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:54 am 

Is there any option for us to have an account, where we can sign in to in order to save shipping address, perhaps payment info, and ideally a wish list? Seems like it would make checkouts much faster and easier, and it would also be a way to keep track of who is eligible for the FOMOs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, fixed a bunch of stuff. Still working on some kinks but we're getting close.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll need more once we go live. There are a lot of little things we need to tweak.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 9 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next