Switch to full style
Post a reply

New shorty videos

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I want some opinions on these. I'm thinking of us doing quicky product video just to give people a look at the knives and some general info on specs. I want to keep these very brief at about 1 minute and bang them out for knives that we most likely wouldn't do a longer more involved review.

Tell me what you think and we'll try and tweak it and make it worth someone's minute. Steve if you see this I would particularly like your opinion since you know way more about this stuff than I do. The lights are really nice so thanks for the recommendation. They are useful for our product shots too.


Re: New shorty videos

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 pm

MARK <> I think the format works. I suggest having a stat card on the counter though.

Re: New shorty videos

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:25 pm

Definitively keep it short and sweet. Most people are just looking for the basics.
Give a good look at the knife (very important)
Run the numbers
Give blade construction and steel
Handle material
Opinion of F&F
Any advantages or disadvantages, if any, over similar knifes.
Call it a rap.
All the more complicated and detailed stuff can be handed off to the forum.

Just my .02 which is about all it's worth.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 am

If you really want to keep it short, definitely have the stat card. Picking up the knife, showing a couple of angles, a quick opinion on the thickness, weight, handle, feel etc., and your done in a minute.

BTW i thought the patina comparison was great. You never see that in a knife video.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:15 am

Los Altos wrote:BTW i thought the patina comparison was great. You never see that in a knife video.

And I thought it was a turn-off as far as a sales point of view. But that is just one opinion and not a criticism.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:27 am

Jeff B wrote:
Los Altos wrote:BTW i thought the patina comparison was great. You never see that in a knife video.

And I thought it was a turn-off as far as a sales point of view. But that is just one opinion and not a criticism.


You have a point, but it seems like a lot of people dont know what "reactive" means when it comes to carbon steel. Not on this forum so much, but I would think the newbies who browse the regular site might. I was a bit freaked out the first time I used a Tojiro ITK. Thought it was defective the way it discolored so fast. Maybe he could show the same patina after two minutes with Bar Keepers friend?

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:05 am

I understand but to me that is something for a different time and setting like his sharpening videos. He can make care and maintenance videos even videos explaining the difference in the steels but it doesn't need to be in every product video. It's just to much information for what is trying to be accomplished here. These are to be videos for the customer to get a good look at the product and the general specs to better compare products. And again this is just one opinion and maybe I'm way off base.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:44 am

Jeff B wrote:I understand but to me that is something for a different time and setting like his sharpening videos. He can make care and maintenance videos even videos explaining the difference in the steels but it doesn't need to be in every product video. It's just to much information for what is trying to be accomplished here.

Agreed. The goal is to keep it short and concise.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:58 am

It might be nice to have a side-by-side comparison with one or two common competitors.

I know when I am shopping one of the hardest things to gauge is the geometry of the blade. The angle it is held at, the camera angle, lighting, and the angle of the handle to the blade create a myriad of optical trickery that makes assessing the geometry from stock images difficult. Where is the belly? How pronounced is the belly? Is the tip flat or a continuous curve with the belly? These would be easy to answer with a side by side comparison with a common competitor...a Tojiro DP, one of the Richmond lineup....

It would take no time at all, just holding them side by side in similar lighting, in the same position would allow people to pause the video and compare. Using the same common competitor would allow several different knives to be compared to a common standard.

Re: New shorty videos

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Los Altos wrote:If you really want to keep it short, definitely have the stat card. Picking up the knife, showing a couple of angles, a quick opinion on the thickness, weight, handle, feel etc., and your done in a minute.

This is a simple, to the point, definition of what people will be wanting when looking at these videos.
Post a reply