It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New shop toy!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, I spent around 5 hours today getting my newest shop toy set up! We had to wire the motor to the cable, cable to the Variable Speed controller/power converter (converts 110V single phase to 220V 3 Phase for the motor to be variable speed), and then connect a power cord to the speed control unit. My dad helped me with it, and it actually works!!

KMG-PL 1.5 HP Variable Speed 2x72 belt sander with Flat Platen, Rotary Platen (seen on the grinder) and a Small Wheel Attachment.

Better shot of the Rotary Platen. It allows me to set more tension on a slack belt so I can control how much give I have, based on how tight a grooved rubber belt is. It basically allows me to do a slight convex to a rounded convex, or use the wheels as contact wheels. Very sweet!!

Small Wheel Attachment, 1" wheel installed:

Much nicer than my other small wheel setup (home made). I can change out belts w/o having to take off the wheel each time!

Flat platen and tool rest:

I got tool arms for each of the Small Wheel and Platen, so I just throw a lever, pull one arm out, insert the other and I'm back in the game!

Now I get to shape out the 6 Artifex I epoxied yesterday!!

Post subject: Re: New shop toy!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:10 am 
Forum Moderator

OOh Ooh, Jealous!!!! :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 am 
Forum Moderator

I got to use it for a few hours tonight. Took some getting used to how everything works, but so far, so good!! I am using the flat platen and tool rest to profile out 95% of the handle to the tang (just the little curve is left) and the small wheel attachment will take care of that. The flat platen also works well for rough shaping/rounding out the handle, and then I go to the rotary platen to finish off the handle. It's nice to be able to go to 400 grit on the belt for wood handles without burning them!! Runs beautifully, too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am 

That is freaking cool. Congrats! I am double jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's a sweet toy all right!! I was using a Grizzly 2x72 and a home built 2x30 for my small wheel grinder to get on the inside of the handles. The tool rest for the Grizz went bye bye a long time ago (got my thumb caught between the wheel and rest when the rest slipped and ground my thumb down until it fit thru the gap), so I've been free hand profiling on the wheel and then using the wheel to rough shape. With the KMG, everything is nice and square, so the tension and tracking works very well and the work table is set up nicely and square to the flat platen. So now I have been using the flat platen to cut the profile while keeping everything square and rough shape on the platen and then the rotary platen to finish the rounding out of the handle. I still gotta get used to the Rotary platen and how it works, but that should be a cool attachment! May even start making the blades themselves again!

I think I can now do octagon Wa handles since I can move the Platen to various angles!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Spent some solid time with the new grinder today and got it figured out I think! Got the right tension on the Rotary Platen belt and I can bring the handles up to a 600 grit finish on the belt sander without burning the handles or spacers!! Variable Speed is a great thing!

It was a busy day today. Spent most of the morning cleaning up the shop, removing the little 2x30 small wheel grinder and re organizing the work space. Now I have an area for epoxying the liners and handles to the tangs and a separate space for hand sanding. But with the 600 grit belt finish, there wasn't any hand sanding done today!!

I had 6 knives from yesterday that were epoxied and shaped out to 220, but needed to be re worked. I epoxied another 8 handles today and got all 14 to a clean 600 grit finish on the whole handle :) Now I just need to round out the front so it's not sharp and fill a few little pin holes in the wood. Next comes rounding the spine, finishing the handle with Tru Oil and then sharpening them!

After a quick dunk it water to get the dust off:

14 knife handles shaped in 1 day; before, with having to hand sand, I would be happy to get 4 or 5 done!! Lovin this new belt sander!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]