It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 12 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: New shit
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

estayton wrote:Looks like a new Yamashin just hit, in Blue #1 no less. The photos look unnervingly like the old Tsutomu Kajiwara damascus octagon-handle knives. Are those just placeholders or does it bear such a striking resemblance?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yabl1gy21.html

Yes they are similar. They are using the exact same cladding.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

CKTG <> Please bring IKKANSHI TADATSUNA back now that the douche is out of your way! THEY ARE JUST TOO GOOD TO NOT BE REPRESENTED HERE!

ESTAYTON <> Agreed... looks like the identical profile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 am 
Site Admin

We have some cool stuff on the horizon.

Sukenari honyaki debas, yanagibas and gyutos are on my desk. Isaiah is putting handles on a couple at a time so they'll be showing soon.

I imentioned we were getting Azia knives but that is not happening. He has cancer and is not making knives anymore. I thought I saw that he had died but I couldn't read the page very well in Japanese. It sure did look like a memorial piece that Takefu did on him. I'll find out for sure and update.

We have a new line by Saji coming.

We have a new line from Kamo coming. Kurouchi with AS steel.

We have another line from Kurosaki. R-2, damascus. His western hammered are almost here as well.

I'm working on moving my Artifex line to Japan. I have a good western knife maker that can do them and will improve the knives. Hand grinding makes better knives and this will improve them. Look for these after the end of the year. This is not 100% yet and I have a ton of work to make this happen.

I'm working on bringing in a whole bunch of new Suehiro stones. 2 full lines and some accessories. Stones are hard to establish but I know there are a certain segment of our customer base that likes to experiment and try new stuff so these will fill that need.

My sharpening jig is done. I just need to make some basic wooden handles and figure out what stones to offer with it and then it's going live as a beta version. I'm going to pretty much give these away to hopefully get some people to try it. We've been sharpening with it and it works well.

Devin Thomas is shipping my damascus pettys after an almost 2 year wait. These are going to come in small batches of 4-5 at a time.

Pierre Rodrique is also making some more gyutos for us that should be arriving soon.

We have some new knives coming from Kyushu prefecture later this year.

I'm starting to plan for next year's trip to Japan. I go on frequent flyer miles so I have to set the date way ahead of time and then I start trying to pack my schedule to meet as many people as possible. This trip I'm going to try and visit a bunch of suppliers in the Niigata area like Shapton and Tojiro and smaller blacksmiths like Yoshikane, Shegefusa, Tetsuhiro, Gihei etc. There's a big group of them up there that I've never met. I may try and push it and fly down to the south and visit several of the blacksmiths I deal with there like Moritaka. Once I get the dates I'll be able to map out the trip.

That's all I can think of for now.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:46 am 

Lol. Mark, you are relentless when it comes to bringing in new stuff and keeping us happy. Keep em coming!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:20 am 

My wallet just had a seizure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 am 

Upon reading Mark's recent post, all that came to mind was the word "passion" over and over...thanks for your dedication and persistence, Mark!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 am 

Oh, more stones! I've started to enjoy buying those almost more than buying knives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am 

Pumped for those Kurosaki knives. Any color on the Western hammered in terms of steel? Cane we expect something similar to the Zero? I.E. AS core with stainless cladding?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chip - looks like R-2 core and probably SS cladding: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kurosakir2.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 pm 

Yeah, saw that, though I read Mark's post as indicating 2 new lines. Clearly a misinterpretation

Page 6 of 12 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next