1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) petty, gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 15-20cm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? western
6. How much did you want to spend? doesn't matter
7. Do you know how to sharpen? not sure I'm good, pretty sure I'm bad, but I will train, have a 1000 and 5000 Chosera stones
I'm a French wonderful husband who loves cooking, not professionally, and who happens to love knives (and have a big ego but I would say like all frenchs
So far I got a Masamoto VG-10 if I remember correctly, this is the one I like the least, except its size, it's a petty 15cm I think.
My favorite, but blade is a little big I find, is a Aritsugu gyuto in Hagane steel if I remember correctly that I brought from their Kyoto shop.
Recently I added 2 little 12cm petty, a Misono in swedish steel and I would place it second, and a Hiromoto in Aogami that I like too, so 3rd place
From this small "collection" all I can say is that 12cm is a little bit too small for my taste, the 15cm seems like a sweet spot.
I cut only vegetables as I'm vegetarian.
If I'm missing something relevant that would help you to see what I may like don't hesitate to ask !