It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 9 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: New member: would like help choosing a knife
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 pm 

My name is Nathan and I am considering upgrading from my Shun Classic Knives. I've done a lot of research but I could use some help. Too many to choose from. I would like to stick with Japanese knives.

I am right handed
Interested in a gyuto to start and then a paring knife and then possibly a serrated knife
looking for 210 mm or 240 mm
Either Carbon or stainless is fine.
Either western handle or Japanese handle is fine
Would like to keep the price to around $350 max. unless there is something significantly better for not a whole bunch more.
I do not know how to sharpen at this time. I do wash and dry my knives as soon as I am through using them.

Some of the one's I have been considering are:

Takada
Moritaka
Kanehiro
Anryu
Kikuichi (these like the Shun are vg-10 so not sure if this would be an upgrade or not)

Any suggestions would be most helpful even if they are not on the list.

Post subject: Re: New member: would like help choosing a knife
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:00 pm 

Eagle - What about the knives you listed do you like? Will you be using these at home or work? How about typical types of food? What about the Shun's do you dislike? Each one of the brands you listed make excellent knives so it's a matter of personal preferences at some point.

My first suggestion would be to force yourself to include a basic one or two stone sharpening setup in your initial purchase and adjust your knife budget accordingly. I'm sure you came across this same sentiment multiple times during your research. There is no way around it, each one of those knives will get dull at some point and a dull kickass knife is still a dull knife.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:36 pm 

Kikuichi blows Shun knives away, in my opinion. Shun exaggerates their HRC I have found, in practice it is not accurate that some of the line is spec'd at 64 HRC.

As far as performance, Kikuichi in general has a flatter profile than Shun, which you may or may not like. Since you mentioned VG-10, I am inferring that you are referring to the Tsuchime Damascus? I prefer the knife over any Shun knife I have ever seen or used, For what it worth, I think people here on the forum are beginning to notice, I may have a bias towards Kikuichi as a brand. Great quality and the knives I have from them have never failed.

Anryu knives, as I understand are actually made by a smith that also forges for Masakage, I have never heard a bad word about them, so it stands to reason Anryu must be up to great quality as well.

Takeda knives are treated by some enthusiasts as the Holy Grail of knives. I can't offer a lot of input on them because I don't have $330 dollars to drop for one at the moment.

I'm sure the others will jump on this to give you more suggestions and information.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 pm 

If you want to step up from your Shuns I would skip the VG-10. If you want a Kikuichi stick with the TKC, an excellent knife.
I don't see a bad choice on your list from there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 pm 

Have the Shun Edo and Classic knives, and several new knives from CTG including a Anryu Hammered Gyuto 210mm. I would add the Masakage Yuki 210 or 240 mm to your list. World of difference relative to the Shun's although there are certain Shun Classic knives that I think work well (for the price) and I probably won't replace (Shun Classic hollow Edge Santoku Knife and their 4" paring knife). I would look at this recent thread asking the same question, and the conclusion another-gyuto-recommendation-t5157.html . Although the VG-10 is suppose to be of similar HRC to the Anryu and Yuki, I find it a bit softer and less refined edge relative to my other steel blades of similar HRC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 pm 

More information would be helpful. What do you like/dislike about the Shuns? What specifically do you want to improve upon? With the list you posted, what attracts you to each knife? Do you prefer the idea of heavier knives or lighter knives?

All the knives you listed, plus those added so far are all excellent candidates, but without some familiarity with your preferences and habits it would be really hard to proffer advise that optimizes your selection. I hate to put the ball back in your court, but the choice between 210 and 240, carbon or stainless, wa or yo handled would be helpful too.

In terms of length, a rule of thumb is: a knife, blade and handle, should fit diagonally on your cutting board without overhanging. So look at your cutting board to see what kind of length you are set up to take advantage of. Many users, though not all, prefer the longest knife they can fit in their work space.

In terms of carbon vs stainless: carbons take on a patina which adds some character, they take a little more diligence in terms of maintenance, and tend to take keener edges more easily when sharpening. Stainless steels will be more forgiving of maintenance and will maintain a nice shiny finish with less effort.

In terms of handles: Japanese handled knives will be lighter overall, balanced toward the blade, and are generally an effortless transition for someone using a pinch grip. Western styled handles add weight, move the balance point toward the handle, and some people find are more comfortable if you keep all five fingers on the handle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:40 am 

Snipes:

I am a newbie at this despite the research. Previously I owned Cutco. The Shun's I got from a local store and were a huge step up. The Cutco's were very dull. I do plan on getting sharpening stones but even there I'm not sure what I would need and then will need to find someone to teach me. this is how new I am to the world of good kitchen knives and don't want to ruin anything.

Part of what I like about the knives I listed is the steel is different. I have read that the AS steel is easy to sharpen and to a much sharper level then the VG-10. As far as foods, typically onions, tomatoes, green onions, and both raw and cooked meats and poultry and bread if the knife is sharp enough to do it. I also realize that there is not really a bad choice of knives from CKTG just that some are better than others as far as performance. I also know that it will be largely a matter of personal preference but it's nice to find out what people have used and why they like it. Too many choices. As far as the budget I set. That was mainly to include the Takadas which are expensive. However if there is a particular brand that performs just as well for less money then I am all for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 am 

Dan:

You were right about the replies. Have gotten a few so far. Lots of additional questions as well. At this point I don't have the $330 for a Takada either. Budget was set to include it. However if there is something just as good as the Takadas for less then I am all for it. I am mainly interested in performance with asthetics a consideration but not important. Was also looking at the Masakage as well. Forgot to put that on the potential list. Nothing wrong with having a bias.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 am 

Jeff:

I didn't figure there was a bad choice from the list I submitted but perhaps some choices would be better than others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:01 am 

mksj:

I may keep the Shun paring. For the paring I would like it to be 4" or less, preferably lesw. Most of the knives I listed with the exception of the Takadas I didn't see anything under about 5 1/2 inches. What difference are you finding between the Shun and the maqsakage you were referring to?

Page 1 of 9 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next