Switch to full style
This area is for posting pictures of your knives.
Post a reply

New Mega Press!

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Image

Finally got her done!! 24" tall, 14x11" wide base, 20 ton press. Made with 1/4" thick walled rectangular tubing. Time to start making more laminate handles!!

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 am

Well done mate!

:)

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 am

Gonna mold up some pieces when I get out of work this morning. Gotta make a saya out of light blue, med blue, white and black layers of flannel to match the water camo handle, so I need to do long, thin pieces :)

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Well, it worked a bit too well. I found out that a 20 ton bottle jack is a bit much for what I am doing; I pressed almost all of the epoxy out of the fabric; the pieces inside were almost dry and didn't cure and the stuff that squeezed out cured fine. LOL! I put the 6 ton bottle jack in there from my old press and gave it another go.

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Another oops, I bent my mold, LOL. Keep in mind I am just duct taping the ends of the mold shut and I managed some how to bend the walls out the mold out a bit on my first attempt. So I put it in sideways and smooshed down to kinda straighten them out a bit,

6 Ton Bottle Jack worked well with the smaller mold I used. I will cut into it tomorrow to see what it looks like!! The 6 ton worked well, but the work space was limited and it had a 1" rod coming off of the press plate, so it was hard to distribute the force over a larger area. Now with the flat press plate and a variety of different sized pieces, I can distribute the force much more evenly!

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 pm

That is pretty cool! Hope you make good use of it!

Re: New Mega Press!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I got longer flat plates. I'm going to make up some denim pieces to send out to some guys to try out as stops. I've been playing with factory Micarta (Linen and Canvas) as strops/deburring strips. I know the Denim is naturally abrasive, so combining that with a spray or something should give nice results. I've had good luck with the pieces as strops or to cut into them to de burr in the camo patterns, but noticed that the edge was sometimes a little rough here and there, maybe due to the different materials. With a stack of denim, it should be a bit more consistent.
Post a reply