It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Magnetic Knife Racks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 am 

The stud thing is a worthy consideration, and could put your racks over the others. The one I have has never fit with both screws in a stud, and in my old apartment, it wore out the screw holes from the force of the knives on and off...too much wriggling.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 am 

burkecutlery wrote:The stud thing is a worthy consideration, and could put your racks over the others. The one I have has never fit with both screws in a stud, and in my old apartment, it wore out the screw holes from the force of the knives on and off...too much wriggling.

Glad to know I wasn't over-thinking it.

Thinking about the problem. There are lots of potential solutions, but they tend to be expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 am 
Forum Moderator

http://jalonburton.blogspot.com/2012/05 ... ision.html

Would something like this work (not necessarily this one, but something like it)?? Attach bracket to wall and then attach rack to bracket with screws?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 pm 

taz575 wrote:http://jalonburton.blogspot.com/2012/05/designing-with-flat-screen-television.html

Would something like this work (not necessarily this one, but something like it)?? Attach bracket to wall and then attach rack to bracket with screws?

Great idea! I was thinking of fabricating a simple cleat out of wood which would serve a similar role. I'll also do some digging at the hardware store for some sort of metal strip that would work. If you see anything, let me know. If any of you stumbles on a metal (or other) solution that I end up using for these suckers, then I'll make you a custom knife rack as a token of my gratitude.* The solution needs to be fairly inexpensive to purchase and/or fabricate ($2-3?) and easy for a customer to install on the wall.

I think for the smaller sized rack, I'm going to use traditional screws on the face that are exactly 16" on center. So that rack will be something like 17" wide. Since the screws will be near the edge, this will enable the smaller racks to be driven into a corner stud. It's the 22" racks that are causing the issue with the studs.

John

*(Terms and conditions apply. Low APR financing of 22.2% only applies to customers with really crappy credit ratings. Polyester suit and teeth whitening provided for slight surcharge. If you live in Antarctica, please pay for the shipping.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100375310

Something like this maybe? Screw it onto the wall, put the board onto the bottom of the L and then screw the board onto the bracket? Prob need something 1.5" tall and with a 3/4" lip or so?

Hmm. Let me talk to my buddy who has a Machine Shop. He could probably bend them to the size you need, drill and then have them powder coated (shop above his).

How tall and thick are the racks? Would a C bracket instead of a L bracket be better since you could screw into the top and bottom?

Last edited by taz575 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

taz575 wrote:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100375310&R=100375310

Something like this maybe? Screw it onto the wall, put the board onto the bottom of the L and then screw the board onto the bracket? Prob need something 1.5" tall and with a 3/4" lip or so?

Too bad shipping costs more than the dang part, cause' I have a bunch of those sitting around left over from when I made my work bench.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051

Or something like this as a C bracket, but not as wide. Board slips into the open part and gets screwed top and bottom?

LOL, yeah, hear ya on the shipping! Thats why I figured it may be better to make up a bunch and get them powder coated to look a bit nicer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 am 

John, After looking at the size of my racks, I'm thinking that a 20 inch not 22" would be a better fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm 

I'm thinking something like this might be the simplest solution: http://www.craftparts.com/100-fh101-p-1601.html

It would be a little bit of extra work for the purchaser to mount these. The process would be:
1) find your studs by looking into the mirror, using a studfinder, procuring a dowsing rod, or whatever method makes you the happiest.
2) Drill screws into studs (supplied by me).
3) Hold knife rack up to screws and make a little tic mark where the keyhole hardware needs to go on the back of the rack.
4) Screw in keyhole fixture to back of knife rack
5) Slide knife rack over stud screws.

I would provide instructions with the knife racks. In order to provide the instructions in format familiar to most customers, I would first write them in English, then have them translated from English to Chinese and then back again into English, preferably by people who lack fluency in either language.

I think hardware like this would only be necessary for the longer (20-22") units. It would be a lot easier for the end-user just to drive 2 screws through the knife rack into the wall, but you guys have made it clear that it really needs to be in wall studs. A 17" wide unit would allow screw holes at exactly 16", so that should work for that.

I guess my main concern would be whether or not a non-handy homeowner would be willing to mess with the installation. What do you all think?
John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:55 pm 

Those keyhole-screw-things are very common in IKEA. So if IKEA is making tons of college students and homemakers happy, that is probably just fine. I mean, it doesn't have to easy to pop on the wall--you are installing a permanent fixture after all. It's less like a knife block and more like a countertop. As long as it doesn't require too many PARTS, I think the folks who want a magnetic knife strip(and/or their skeptical spouses/roomies) want to know that once it goes up, it is NOT coming down covered in knives.

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next