It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Knives
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm 

Just received my first 2 new Japanese knives from CKTG. Very fast delivery (FREE). Ordered on the 31st of July...arrived today (4th of Aug). Well packed.

Initial impressions:

1. Tojiro DP 170mm Garasuke: Good build quality for a $100 knife. Hefty for a knife this size. Weighs in at around 8oz.. Handle felt fine in my "medium" sized hands in a pinch grip. Don't see why some claimed the handle feels "too square" (though, they were talking about a gyuto). Sliced through paper easily and cleanly (OOTB sharpness). Has a sort of "single bevel" edge (one edge convex and the other flat). Will be interesting to see how sharp it will feel and perform once I buy water stones/strop.

2. Konosuke Fujiyama 180mm Nakiri: Very nice fit/finish. Handle seems larger than I expected though not uncomfortable. The paper saya (included in the box) that is around the blade had some "paper dust" on the blade. Bought a Kono wood saya (includes black pin)...fit nicely. Quickly ran my finger over the cutting edge of the blade. Felt more than sharp enough that I didn't bother bouncing my finger on the edge. :) Didn't get to sacrifice any paper to it yet. I'm sure it will cut through it easily w/ OOTB sharpness.

Will probably post again later when I actually put them to use.

Nakiri: Konosuke Fujiwara 180mm (W#2)

Post subject: Re: New Knives
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:12 am 

Can't wait to hear how you like the Kono Fujiyama! They look like great knives.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]