It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Kitchen Kinves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:13 pm 

New here , I've been enjoying this site and figure I would ask some questions.

Looking for a few new knives. Gave my cheap set to my son and his college roomates.

The more I research the more I can't decide what I want.

I like the idea of buying American and from a vendor like Mark

I'm thinking of going with these
Richmond Artifex 210mm Gyuto
Richmond Artifex 150mm Utility
Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife

I saw in the descripton about being able to chose an option for hand sharpening but I don't see it.
Do the Artifexs come with a decent edge out of the box ? Should I get these knives hand sharpeded

I'm just an ok hand sharpener. I'm still trying to decide on a an edgepro apex or pro or a wicked edge.

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Kinves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm 

Hi Mike, welcome. Your knife selection sounds great to me. I have the 210mm Artifex in AEB-L steel and I love it. Sharpens up wonderfully easy and scary sharp. I got mine with the stock factory edge and it was OK. A few minutes at the Edge Pro and it was awesome! ;) As far as the sharpener goes, I had an Apex to begin with now I have a Pro model. To me hands down it was worth the extra money. Are you even a little obsessive in nature to begin with? If so you might as well just go to the Pro version to start. :shock: As far as the WE goes, it does look like a gerat machine, but the availability of after market stuff for the EP just made the deal go to the EP for me. I have the Shapton Glass stones sans the 30 k stone for mine and they rock. Could not be happier, and the service I have gotten from Mark and Sue at CKTG has been just awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 pm 

I think only the gyuto has hand sharpening option.

I recently bought the Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife, a Suisin Western 210 Gytuo, and the artifex paring knife; the utility wasn't available at the time. All have been great, but I kind of wish I'd got the Artifex gyuto and saved a few bucks.

I already had a combination 1000/6000 water stone so I picked up an idahone rod and strop kit. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably have gone with the Edge Pro. I have seen reviews that made the WE look a bit better than the EP, but you are really going to shell out a lot more coin to get all the stones you'd want - more than $500.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm 

I believe if you go here:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knife-sharpening-service-by-mail.html

And add any of the talented shaRpeners to your basket and they will hand finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 pm 

My Artifex came OOTB pretty sharp. It shredded paper but you could see how uneven it was ground the whole way across. So uneven that i originally thought it was bent at the tip. Hit the stones right away to get rid of this. About 85% rid of the over grinds after the first sesh. I'm not bothered. But next time I surf the stones they will be all gone. I am growing to love my Artifex more and more as I use it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

I think you will be delighted with the Artifex, just got one, very very sharp out of the box. Mark offers a great selection of custom handles as well. Beautifully finished knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]