It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: New 1K stone wanted.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

I am replacing a 1000 and 4000 my grit stone, I have a 6000 grit Suehiro finishing stone.

The Bester 1200 looks very good for my needs but I would like your recommendation on the bottom end.

I would like something that can reestablish an edge on older knives and am considering the Chosera 400 or 600, Shapton 500 Glass Stone or Shapton Pro 320.

I have never used a glass stone before, I am curious when it needs to be flattened, can I use wet sandpaper like I do with my current 1000/4000/6000 stones?

What would you recommend or is there another stone in the 300-600 grit range?

Thanks so much.

Mark

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: New 1K stone wanted.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I think the bester 1200 is a fine choice. I use it frequently and it's a good and consistant cutter. Our number 3 selling stone on the site.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html

For low grit stones there some good choices. The Chosera 400 is one of my favorites. It's fast and consistant. The Shapton pro 320 is another good stone. It's splash and go and cuts well. Yes you can flatten all your stones with sandpaper, usually 120 wet dry is good for this. If you flatten a lot you may want a diamond stone down the road like the DMT but it's not necessary.

The Beston 500 is another stone you might want to try. It's our #2 selling stone. It's a good cutter, drinks water and dishes kind of fast but is easily flattened and works well.

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: New 1K stone wanted.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Beston 500....great stone once you get past that crust. Flatten the poo out of it when you first get it to remove the top layer and it will work amazingly well.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]